Migration from MadCap Doc-to-Help to Tridion Docs DITA CCMS: Advice sought

Does anyone have experience migrating documentation sets from MadCap Doc-to-Help to Tridion Docs DITA? I will be migrating a big set, approximately 30 books, to DITA this summer, hopefully after updating our Tridion Docs 14 and oXygen system to current versions. I have the docx files and CHM and PDF outputs to work with, and I'm guessing the PDFs might be the simplest source to use, though I heard that oXygen might have a way to convert from the Word files, and that could work for this project. I anticipate that we will end up with about 15,000 topic objects from the complete set. Doc-to-Help is still supported but it is technically obsolete, and our company is committed to DITA, so it is essential to move this documentation. 

Last year, I completed the migration of our other major product's documentation from Doc-to-Help to Tridion Docs 14 by manually copy and pasting the content to new topics, and it was a huge effort. The 2023 project was about 10% the size of what I need to do this year, and a fully manual process is just not feasible, though I recognize that manual cleanup of any automated method will be required, and I expect to spend several months condensing documentation through reuse of topics. There is a ridiculous amount of poorly managed duplication in the current doc set, and I expect major quality and maintainability improvements will come from the move to DITA. We have already seen that with the project I completed last year, and the customers have given us positive feedback about that product documentation set.

Any information on common pitfalls and strategies to avoid them with this kind of content migration would be much appreciated.

emoji