Under Community Review

64-bit version of Studio

Please create a 64-bit version of Studio. At present only a 32-bit version is available, and therefore it can theoretically only access 2-3GB of system memory, meaning that upgrading your machine with more memory then this does not have any beneficial impact on Studio performance.

When handling large files & projects, allowing Studio access to all of your system's memory would make a huge difference in time and performance, and for this the app needs to be 64-bit.

Are there any plans to release a 64-bit version in future?

Parents
  • I suppose that RWS will not develop a 64-bit version of Trados Studio and MultiTerm Desktop, perhaps the RWS development team does not know how to develop a 64-bit version.

• I think you might be right. Not that they do not know how to do it, but rather that they will try to move the whole Studio experience into a web-based app. I ve recently seen the Trados Team version of their product and to me - it is an obvious suggestion that THAT is their priority. They will be trying to move whole clients into this online experience, instead of standalone Studio applications. This way they can abandon the costly development of Studio Freelance and Professional, abandon Groupshare and focus on a single large product.

Unfortunately Trados Team is too small for us (or too expensive in a variant that suits some of our needs), but the 10M word limit per year is a deal-breaker for us; we would need 8 times that amount at least to even consider switching. I would still prefer a 64-bit version of Studio... Well, maybe in the next ten years they'll do it. Probably not before we all switch to 128-bit architecture ;)

Comment
  • I think you might be right. Not that they do not know how to do it, but rather that they will try to move the whole Studio experience into a web-based app. I ve recently seen the Trados Team version of their product and to me - it is an obvious suggestion that THAT is their priority. They will be trying to move whole clients into this online experience, instead of standalone Studio applications. This way they can abandon the costly development of Studio Freelance and Professional, abandon Groupshare and focus on a single large product.

Unfortunately Trados Team is too small for us (or too expensive in a variant that suits some of our needs), but the 10M word limit per year is a deal-breaker for us; we would need 8 times that amount at least to even consider switching. I would still prefer a 64-bit version of Studio... Well, maybe in the next ten years they'll do it. Probably not before we all switch to 128-bit architecture ;)

Children
  • A Web application is the model many companies tend to adopt, since, unlike standalone applications, that model is an annual subscription one, which guarantees a more consistent and predictable stream of revenues... it's more interesting for shareholders. Captive users will follow anyway... at least, it is their bet. But as I just wrote it elsewhere, competition is not inactive and is attractive too...

• The problem with Web applications is that if they are browser based, I will certainly drop Trados Studio due to the fact that translating in a browser is a huge breach of any NDA you signed with your client/outsourcer. A fact that many people are NOT aware of.

The problem here is that all browsers even in privacy mode secretely grab everything you type (even if it is not sent via submit). This even goes for Firefox but to a way lesser extent and you can harness this one best with various addons. Browsers coming from companies that rely on income from correctly placed ads are very bad. In IT Chrome is deemed the worst as they had to admit grudgingly a few years ago after their lies in a hearing of the EU had been debunked. It's been proven that they use around 11k tracking cookies in Chrome to built profiles of their users. Unfortunately most users and companies have Chrome installed. This does not go hand in hand with GDPR regulations.