Under Community Review

64-bit version of Studio

Please create a 64-bit version of Studio. At present only a 32-bit version is available, and therefore it can theoretically only access 2-3GB of system memory, meaning that upgrading your machine with more memory then this does not have any beneficial impact on Studio performance.

When handling large files & projects, allowing Studio access to all of your system's memory would make a huge difference in time and performance, and for this the app needs to be 64-bit.

Are there any plans to release a 64-bit version in future?

• I've suspected for some time that the original developers are no longer on board. No reasonable changes have been made for quite some time. Instead, new people without the big picture have blindly removed functionality and replaced it with nonsense (in the meantime this has been taken back). Old bugs have not been fixed for years. With every update it says among other things: Search improved. However, there is nothing to be seen of it. I bet that the next update will again say: Search improved.

What has been said here for years about the 64bit version is eyewash in my opinion. 

• I think you might be right. Not that they do not know how to do it, but rather that they will try to move the whole Studio experience into a web-based app. I ve recently seen the Trados Team version of their product and to me - it is an obvious suggestion that THAT is their priority. They will be trying to move whole clients into this online experience, instead of standalone Studio applications. This way they can abandon the costly development of Studio Freelance and Professional, abandon Groupshare and focus on a single large product.

Unfortunately Trados Team is too small for us (or too expensive in a variant that suits some of our needs), but the 10M word limit per year is a deal-breaker for us; we would need 8 times that amount at least to even consider switching. I would still prefer a 64-bit version of Studio... Well, maybe in the next ten years they'll do it. Probably not before we all switch to 128-bit architecture ;)

• I suppose that RWS will not develop a 64-bit version of Trados Studio and MultiTerm Desktop, perhaps the RWS development team does not know how to develop a 64-bit version.

• Hi Philippe,

Have to agree with you on the points you make.

Personally, I find the incredibly slow performance in QA checks with terminology switched on plus the inordinate time it takes to analyze files for a statistics update to be unacceptable.

I have the latest Studio and a PC that game sites rate in the 95th percentile so it's not an old version of Studio or a lame PC that's at fault.

I can confidently bet money on Studio crashing during F8 checks more than half the time. And sudden crashes like that are a clear indication that something major like memory management/access is at fault.

Cheers,

Ed

• I can confirm that there is no problem with compatibility. The only thing you need to be aware of is that when importing any sdlxliff files created from Microsoft Office documents, you will get a warning (not an error) saying that a filter has been used for which MemoQ cannot display formatting and that this formatting will now be handled as tags. All this means in practice is that where you might, for example, see a part of a sentence highlighted in yellow in Studio, it will be surrounded by tags in MemoQ. Once it is exported back to Studio, it will show as yellow again.

There is one other thing to be aware of. In Studio, auto-propagation will automatically insert changes of numbers or tags, which I consider to be Studio's unique selling point. In MemoQ these are automatically inserted as high matches but not 100%. To compensate for this in MemoQ you need to open up the TM settings and check "return an exact match if only recognized numbers are different". Then they will be automatically inserted as 100% matches or you can run pretranslate occasionally to compensate for the fact that these segments don't auto-propagate.