Under Community Review

Excluding a given segment from auto-propagation

Hi everybody,

I am a huge fan of auto-propagation, but it happens I want to exclude a given segment from the auto-propagation, because the context requires I translate it differently of other like segments.

In practice, I would like to be able to translate or change a specific without propagating the specific translation or change to all the segments down the road that were auto-propagated from a segment located higher in the document. 

For instance, in the picture below, the segment was propagated as "É.A.U. (Dubaï)" since it is written this way elsewhere in the document. But in this specific table, I would need to be able to write it "É.A.U. – Dubaï", for consistency reasons with the rest of that one table, being sure that it will not inadvertently revert to the first format if I change anything elsewhere.

Screenshot of Trados Studio segment with auto-propagation, showing 'E.A.U. (Dubai)' with a warning icon indicating a potential issue.

Would it be possible to exclude a specific segment from auto-propagation with, for instance, a simple right-click? 

Thanks in advance

Parents
  • Salut Philippe,

You probably know that you can prevent or change the settings for autopropagation under File>Options, here:Screenshot of Trados Studio Options dialog showing Auto-propagation settings with 'Enable Auto-propagation' checked and various conditions for prompting the user.

This is a difficult one. I presume you don't want to turn auto-propagation off altogether, or you'd just click 'Always'.

Yet, how could you stop at a given repetition to right-click if one of the above instances were not appropriate to the empty target you'd like to translate differently.

As much of my work these days is proofreading, I use the setting I have ticked above because I'm reading existing target content. However, when translating from scratch, I can't see how one would differentiate between a segment that required a different translation whilst at the same time auto-propagating segments that should be identical, without going through the document to right-click that segment which takes the same amount of time as locking that segment...

What am I missing here?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

(not an RWS employee, just interested by your idea and the scenario this could be implemented in)

• Hello Alison,

This is a good input and generally speaking a good option. However I believe there are two main issues to this:

1. in documents with numerous identical segments, you'll be prompted for each and every segment (which is what you asked studio to do, and that's fine), but this can result in quite some "click activity" - whereas as an exclusion option would prove more efficient.
    2. as the editor window does not automatically offer the previous and next segment but happens to place the segment to review at the very top or the very bottom when jumping to the next occurrence, you sometimes have no idea about what to choose - confirm or not. You either need to know your text very precisely (guessing like: "was segment 782 the table or the introductory sentence to the table?") or to write down the segment number on some piece of paper (!) and check it manually after the auto-propagation pop-up closes. Which of course is far from ideal.

The option is a kind of work around, no doubt, but a real exclusion option would be a real improvement, in my opinion.

Comment
  • Hello Alison,

This is a good input and generally speaking a good option. However I believe there are two main issues to this:

1. in documents with numerous identical segments, you'll be prompted for each and every segment (which is what you asked studio to do, and that's fine), but this can result in quite some "click activity" - whereas as an exclusion option would prove more efficient.
    2. as the editor window does not automatically offer the previous and next segment but happens to place the segment to review at the very top or the very bottom when jumping to the next occurrence, you sometimes have no idea about what to choose - confirm or not. You either need to know your text very precisely (guessing like: "was segment 782 the table or the introductory sentence to the table?") or to write down the segment number on some piece of paper (!) and check it manually after the auto-propagation pop-up closes. Which of course is far from ideal.

The option is a kind of work around, no doubt, but a real exclusion option would be a real improvement, in my opinion.

Children
  •     

Hi Christine,

I cannot think of a way of achieving a 'real exclusion' that would be simpler than finding the segment that needs to be excluded, translating if required without confirming, then locking it. The added advantage of which is that it would not be saved to the TM if it was not the usual translation of that term.

Comment une telle exclusion devrait-elle marcher pour être plus efficace ?

Ideas?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

• Maybe just in adding an "auto-propagate [Yes/No]" tag pair in XML code of the segment, that would be checked in the auto-propagation process.
    When you see the number of underlying information there is in the XML for a single segment (see below), it wouldn't be a big deal to add a tag pair like <sdl:value key="autopropagate">Yes</sdl:value>.

Screenshot of XML code from Trados Studio with tags and attributes. It includes segment IDs, source and target text, creation and modification dates, and hash values.

• Hi Alison
    You're right, this is not too bad. But it could be improved, especially the the part with "find" :-) because for now, the find aspect definitely involves a piece of paper or any kind of manually performed action.
    The ideal solution would require that :
    a) the segment to be reviewed is displayed in the context of at least one prior and one following segment.
    b) the pop-up prompting window has an additional button "exclude this segment from auto-propagation"
    c) the locked segment is counted in the progress bar at the bottom (until today, they are not  **sigh**, which leads to other problems)

Christmas has never been so closed this year, maybe RWS will put their red hat on... :-)

•     

Hi all,

... so the 'exclude' button would be a third button alongside 'yes' and 'no' in the auto-propagation dialog and thus set the segment as a standalone that will not be included in further auto-propagation or, conversely will not trigger any auto-propagation of other segments either.

That makes sense... but is it achievable via Philippe's suggestion or another method, Daniel?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

• I would just think of right click menu option when you're in the segment, Alison.