Cannot add Windows user

Hi, 

As this has happed so many times on different installations and in the end is preventing GroupShare client to use Windows Authentication, I would like to check with the community if anybody of you has experienced the same manifestation and symptoms. 

The scenario and the test case is the following. 

1. GroupShare Administrator imports Windows users from AD into GroupShare (Import Windows User).

2. Using GroupShare Web console, GroupShare Administrator creates new GroupShare (as Windows user) and give this user appropriate rights.
    The newly created user is able to work with GroupShare.

3. In  GroupShare Web console, Administrator deletes the previously created (GroupShare Windows user).  The user is removed from GroupShare users. (this is expected behavior)

Now, the Administrator realized that the removing user was mistake and want to get the user back. So he follows the "Create New User" 

But get the following error: Cannot add user DOMAIN\username. A user with that name already exists.

My problem is that I don't know for a method that would allow the client to again add the previously deleted Windows user.

Does anybody knows for a generally usable solution in such cases.

BTW, this issue was seen with Gropushare 2017 and is stil present in GroupShare 2020

Simon

Parents
  • Hi - I am not able to reproduce this but it's possible that I am missing something. I have a few questions for you:

1. In the first screenshot you say you're trying to add a Windows user but the User Type is "SDL" then you use Username in the format DOMAIN\username - why is that? If you want to add a Windows user you should select User Type: Windows

2. Depending on the size of the server, the number of users on it and the exact GroupShare version, deleting a user from the Web UI can take up to a few seconds - sometimes 5,6. What happens though is you delete the user and it is immediately removed from the list, making you think it was deleted, but if you click on the Refresh button, it appears again. Keep clicking on the Refresh button until it no longer appears.

3. When the error "... user alread exists" - did you check in the database? In the SDLSystem database , table name is: sts.User - all users are stored there.

4. Lastly, for the last screenshot you sent, sometimes there are indeed some errors in the tables in the SDLSystem database and it helps to run the Configurator.exe executable - from here: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\SDL\SDLTradosGroupShare2020/2017

So with the information above, please try to reproduce the behaviour and see if indeed you can do that and you can consistently get the error - provide us detailed steps and if indeed it is a defect, we are happy to report to Development and have it addressed.

Thank you

Adrian

• Hi Adrian, 

Thank you for all the info you provided. 

Please see my answers bellow: 

Ad 1. > It's just the screenshot that is not correct. I didn't want to put the user details so I just used the form from my server and obviously didn't fix that. But in reallity, the issue is related and was observerd only with Windows users.

Ad 2. > I'm referring to GS 2020 SR1 CU3 and also to the latest CU and SR of the GS 2017. Number of Windows users in these GS servers is relatively small - probably not more that some 20 -30.  Did I understand you correctly that I need to refresh the status, to actually confirm the users is deleted before I close the Web management console?  This would be extrimely un-intuitive and confusing to users.

Ad 3 & 4. > Let me check this in the test enviroment  and also with the client who also experienced such issues (the workaround for them was to create an SDL User.).

I'll post an update tommorow.

Thank you 

Simon

• Hi - Answer to 2: - Right after you delete a user, if you click on the Refresh button of the page (not the browser tab refresh), you will see that the user re-appears in the list. This is not an issue per say, because rarely it is needed to recreate a user immediately after deleting it - as in - in the first 4,5 seconds. It takes more then that to fill in all the fields. But I agree with you that the fact that the user disappears from the list and then when immediately clicking on Refresh it re-appears can be confusing. That scenario will need to be re-tested in future updates because we have done some around around that area of displaying the list of users. I will wait for more details from you tomorrow then. Have good evening!

• Hi - Answer to 2: - Right after you delete a user, if you click on the Refresh button of the page (not the browser tab refresh), you will see that the user re-appears in the list. This is not an issue per say, because rarely it is needed to recreate a user immediately after deleting it - as in - in the first 4,5 seconds. It takes more then that to fill in all the fields. But I agree with you that the fact that the user disappears from the list and then when immediately clicking on Refresh it re-appears can be confusing. That scenario will need to be re-tested in future updates because we have done some around around that area of displaying the list of users. I will wait for more details from you tomorrow then. Have good evening!

Children
  • HI Adrian, 

I just couldn't let it stay until tomorrow, as responded so quickly and with clear suggestions. 

Ad 3 and 4. > I just checked this again as per your suggestion ... giving the server a bit more time and using the Refresh button.    
    Indeed the deleting and adding user, even after I tried it couple of times, worked without erros. 

NOTE: I was testing this on my test installation server GS2020 SR1 CU3 and will need to verify it also with the refence installation of the GS2020 SR0 CU2 - as there it was observed. 

With this I'm verifying your answer above, but I may add more info once I check this on GS 2020 SR0 CU2

Thank you