Trados Subtitle crashes when adding MP4

Currently using Trados 2022 and the current Subtitle version 3.1.4.0

<ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
    <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
    <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.2.10.19084</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
    <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC</OperatingSystem>

Two translators so far when attempting to utilize the Subtitling plugin get this error when going to the Editor screen: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   Can click ok and still translate.  However, when using the Subtitle Preview screen and attempting to upload the MP4 file to review the subtitles Trados completely closes down.

What is causing Trados to crash when bringing in an MP4?

emoji
  • Hi  ,

I've been playing around with .mp4 and other video format but I didn't get any unexpected error message, the media uploaded just fine.

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a video being subtitled. The left side displays a blurred list of subtitle text, while the right side shows a Subtitling Preview with a video of children playing soccer and subtitle text overlay.

If possible, please ask the users to remove the plugin from these locations:

%APPDATA%\Trados\Trados Studio\17\Plugins

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Trados\Trados Studio\17\Plugins

c:\ProgramData\Trados\Trados Studio\17\Plugins

Then add it again from the integrated appstore.

If it 's still problematic, please send the stacktrace details to check further.

Thank you,

Oana

Oana Nagy | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 9:20 AM (GMT 1) on 5 Apr 2024]
  • Hello

Have tried uninstall inside of Trados.   Did not delete from folders.    Should it not be the same?

C:\ProgramData\Trados\Trados Studio\17\Plugins goes to Packages and Unpacked--has nothing in either folder.

The appdata paths your mentioned is it this for 2022 plugins: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\17\Plugins\Packages

I went to that path and that plugin was installed on 02/20/2024 a year after the release of the current plugin.  Others I recently installed the plugin after downloading from the RWS Appestore.

I did not get the logger file for the other two computers experiencing the same problem.   Here is mine:

<SDLErrorDetails time="4/2/2024 10:39:22 AM">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>StudioSubtitling</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at StudioSubtitling.ViewModel.SubtitlingViewModel.GetMediaReference(DocumentInfo documentInfo)
       at StudioSubtitling.ViewModel.SubtitlingViewModel.SetActiveFile(ProjectFile projectFile)
       at StudioSubtitling.ViewModel.SubtitlingViewModel.SetActiveDocument(IStudioDocument document)
       at StudioSubtitling.ViewModel.SubtitlingViewModel.EditorController_ActiveDocumentChanged(Object sender, DocumentEventArgs e)
       at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Extensions.EventsExtensions.Raise[T](EventHandler`1 e, Object sender, T eventArgs)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudioAutomation.IntegrationApi.EditorController.OnActiveDocumentChanged(IDocument document)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Editor.DocumentEventHandler.Invoke(IDocument document)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.EditorService.set_ActiveDocument(IDocument value)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.EditorView.OnActiveViewPartChanged(IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.AbstractDockingView.Control_ActiveViewPartChanged(IViewWithParts view, IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.DockingViewContentControl.OnActiveViewPartChanged(IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.DockingViewContentControl.InternalActivateViewPart(IViewPartReference viewPartToActivate)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.DockingViewContentControl._tabControl_SelectedTabChanged(Object sender, SelectedTabChangedEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTabControl.UltraTabControlBase.OnSelectedTabChanged(SelectedTabChangedEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTabControl.UltraTabControlBase.RaiseEvent(UltraTabControlEventId id, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTabControl.UltraTabControlBase.OnManagerSelectedTabItemChanged(Object sender, SelectedTabItemChangedEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTabs.TabManager.set_SelectedTabItem(ITabItem value)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTabControl.UltraTabControlBase.SetSelectedTab(UltraTab tab)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTabControl.UltraTabControlBase.set_SelectedTab(UltraTab value)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.DockingViewContentControl.AddViewPartTab(IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.DockingViewContentControl.AddViewPart(IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.DockingViewContentControl.NotifyViewPartAdded(IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.AbstractDockingView.BaseAddViewPart(IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.AbstractDockingView.AddViewPart(IViewPartReference viewPartReference)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.EditorView.AddDocumentViewPart(IViewPartReference documentViewPartReference)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Shared.InternalEditorContext.AddDocumentViewPart(IDocumentViewPart documentViewPart)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Editor.AbstractInternalDocument.AfterLoad(IJob job)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.2.10.19084</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>

</Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
  • Thank you  ,

Did not delete from folders.    Should it not be the same?

It may be that the components do not install correctly or may get corrupt for some reason and fail to retrieve the data from the plugin, even if you uninstall it from the integrated appstore. So we ask to check the plugin from the locations mentioned above, just to make sure you start anew with a clean sheet when re-installing from the appstore within Studio.

The stacktrace help to understand the origin of the issue, but indeed it's challenging to pinpoint the exact cause. 

Further more, help me clarify one thing: did it trigger while creating a local project, from Project view >New local project? or was it a single file project?

Can you share the project/video ?

Regards,

Oana

Oana Nagy | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Since this same error happened with three different computers with the newest plugin do not think it is laptop based.  

One person tried opening the file today and worked with no problem, but I just tried again with my laptop and still have Trados closing down.

It is brought into Trados as a single translation.

Do you have a dropbox folder I can or email I can send you a Box link for the files?

emoji
  •   

It is brought into Trados as a since translation.

As a single document project? It won't work and you'll get error. Please create a new standard project, not single file

Do you have a dropbox folder I can or email I can send you a Box link for the files?

Please send it to onagy@sdl.com

Oana

Oana Nagy | RWS Group

emoji
  • Hello  

Some of the translators have tried bringing it in as a New Project instead of Single Translation and that seems to allow it to work without either the error message or crashing.

Why would running it as a New Project work over Single Translation?

emoji
  •   

Because a single document translation doesn't create a proper translation project and we don't have what we need to manage the files.  It's a bit of a shortcut way to work if you don't need additional features and capabilities.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •  

Does make sense if you need a Project for working, but in the case of the majority of our SRT videos that have verify specific talking points that do not need a TM database to be created or other tracking needs a Single Translation process does work on overall.

However, the extra steps that it takes to create a Project is not that much for a translator to take to all this plugin to function it is a good work-around.

emoji