• Data Protection…

There’s always been the occasional question appearing on the forums about data protection, particularly in relation to the use of machine translation, but as of the 25th May 2018 this topic has a more serious implication for anyone dealing with data in Europe.  I’ve no intention of making this post about the GDPR regulations which come into force in May 2016 and now apply, you’ll have plenty of informed resources for…
  • A competitive edge…

I’m pretty sure that when we started to build the new Customer Experience Team in Cluj last year that there was nothing in the job description about being competitive… but wow, they are!!!  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t competitive, because I know I am, but it’s been a long time since I’ve had these kinds of feelings that keep me up at night. To some extent I think the training requirements at SDL are the perfect…
  • App Notifications…

In the years that the SDL AppStore has been around I get asked one question on a fairly regular basis… “How can I find out about new apps or updates to existing apps?”.  A very reasonable question of course and one that has not been addressed particularly well, albeit there have been ways to keep yourself informed.  The ultimate solution we all want to see is the AppStore embedded into SDL Trados Studio, but as that isn…
  • Introducing the ‘official’ theme tune of SDL Trados Studio

2018 marks the 34th year of Trados! With this in mind, we thought it was time SDL Trados Studio had something distinctive, that people would instantly recognize and go “hey, that’s […] The post Introducing the ‘official’ theme tune of SDL Trados Studio... Read the full text.
  • Take your terminology management skills to the next level

In our 2016 Translation Technology Insights research, just over half (56%) of those who took part in the study thought terminology management was a priority. 55% of translators also told […] The post Take your terminology management skills to the next... Read the full text.
  • Meet Neil Ferguson, Product Marketing Manager at SDL

A little bit about you… What is your name? Neil Ferguson What is your job role? Product Marketing Manager – Translation Productivity Which SDL office do you work in? Maidenhead, […] The post Meet Neil Ferguson, Product Marketing Manager at SDL appeared... Read the full text.
  • 24/7 licensing support is now available for SDL Trados Studio

We have some exciting news to share with you. Have you ever had any licensing or installation issues and found there is no support available in your time-zone? Have you […] The post 24/7 licensing support is now available for SDL Trados Studio appeared... Read the full text.
  • Segacious segmentation…

Using segmentation rules on your Translation Memory is something most users struggle with from time to time; but not just the creation of the rules which are often just a question of a few regular expressions and well covered in posts like this from Nora Diaz and others.  Rather how to ensure they apply when you want them, particularly when using the alignment module or retrofit in SDL Trados Studio where custom segmentation…
  • Cloud murmurings… part 1.

It’s true… I’m a die hard desktop user.  I love the benefits I get from my mobile phone, using dropbox, the benefits of machine translation, Netflix and all the cool things that come with being able to use online features in the cloud.  But I’ve still been reticent to wholeheartedly embrace online technology and talk about it in this blog.  When I ask myself why that is, the first thing that crosses my mind is the unreliability…
  • Looking cool…

Using stylesheets to enhance the translators experience when working with XML files can be very helpful and sometimes essential.  It allows you to pull details from the XML and display them in a preview pane so that the translator has more context around the translatable text.  It can also provide a mechanism for displaying text that you don’t want extracted from the XML for translation at all.  This is nothing new of…
  • AdaptiveMT… what’s the score?

AdaptiveMT was released with Studio 2017 introducing the ability for users to adapt the SDL Language Cloud machine translation with their own preferred style on the fly.  Potentially this is a really powerful feature since it means that over time you should be able to improve the results you see from your SDL Language Cloud machine translation and reduce the amount of post editing you have to do.  But in order to be able…
  • Translation and localization events you need to attend in 2018

With 2018 now in full swing, you might be starting to think about which translation and localization events you want to attend this year. But how do you pick when […] The post Translation and localization events you need to attend in 2018 appeared first... Read the full text.
  • 6 articles every translation agency should read in 2018

2017 was another incredible year for the translation and localization industry. With demand continuing to rise in 2018, how can your translation agency stay ahead of the competition? Here are […] The post 6 articles every translation agency should read... Read the full text.
  • 7 must read blogs for translators in 2018

With the first full working week of 2018 officially underway, you are most likely planning out the year ahead. Whether it is how to improve your business or improve your […] The post 7 must read blogs for translators in 2018 appeared first on SDL Trados... Read the full text.
  • 5 things you might not know you could do in SDL Trados Studio 2017

Just over a year ago, we released SDL Trados Studio 2017. For those of you who are already using this version, we hope you have been enjoying the exciting new […] The post 5 things you might not know you could do in SDL Trados Studio 2017 appeared first... Read the full text.
  • Priorities… paths… filetypes….

At the beginning of each year we probably all review our priorities for the New Year ahead so we have a well balanced start… use that gym membership properly, study for a new language, get accredited in some new skill, stop eating chocolate… although that may be going just a bit too far, everything is fine with a little moderation!  I have to admit that moderating chocolate isn’t, and may never be, one of my strong points…
  • Advancing the Advanced…

Some time ago the SDL AppStore team created an opensource site where they make the source code available for virtually all the apps they create for the SDL AppStore.  You can find the site here,  https://sdl.github.io/Sdl-Community/ , along with links to the apps themselves and also the sourcecode which can be pulled by any developer so they can make their own enhancements and improvements based on a good headstart. …
  • The ins and outs of video game localization with Dmitry Kornyukhov

The video game industry is one of the fastest growing sectors globally and there are no signs of it slowing down. With global franchises including Call of Duty, FIFA and Destiny […] The post The ins and outs of video game localization with Dmitry Kornyukhov... Read the full text.
  • Double vision!!

There are well over 200 applications in the SDL AppStore and the vast majority are free.  I think many users only look at the free apps, and I couldn’t blame them for that as I sometimes do the same thing when it comes to mobile apps.  But every now and again I find something that I would have to pay for but it just looks too useful to ignore.  The same logic applies to the SDL AppStore and there are some developers creating…
  • What is terminology management and why is it so important?

The third installment in our Translation 101 series with Massimo Ghislandi is all about terminology management and its benefits. With terminology management you can identify, store and manage company, customer or […] The post What is terminology management... Read the full text.
  • 13 translation tips for 2018 from translators who attended ATA 58

And that’s a wrap on another brilliant ATA conference. As we say goodbye to Washington D.C, we are already getting excited about next year’s event in New Orleans. During this […] The post 13 translation tips for 2018 from translators who attended ATA... Read the full text.
  • Live updates from ATA 58 in Washington D.C.

We’re coming to you live from Washington D.C. If you were unable to make it to ATA 58, follow this live feed for valuable translation advice and tips from your […] The post Live updates from ATA 58 in Washington D.C. appeared first on SDL Trados Blog... Read the full text.
  • So simple… yet so useful!

I’m certainly no expert on knots, but I do like them.  They’ve always held a kind of fascination for me over the years, I even have an app on my phone with 121 knots in glorious 3D.  It sounds a little sad as I write this, but I also have a favourite… a Constrictor Knot.  I use it all the time because I learned a simple way to quickly put this one together for securing the ends of frayed lines even when a Granny would…
  • 4 things to do before, during and after ATA 58 in Washington D.C.

Not only can I not quite believe we are nearing the end of October already, but ATA 58 is also fast approaching. With under a week to go until over […] The post 4 things to do before, during and after ATA 58 in Washington D.C. appeared first on SDL... Read the full text.