Removal of unnecessary hard returns.

This is really a reply to this thread:  RE: Solving mid-sentence line breaks in PowerPoint ...  

I used a chrome extension ( https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chatgpt-sidebar-support-g/difoiogjjojoaoomphldepapgpbgkhkb ) to work online in Office 365 and use AI to remove the hard breaks from text boxes in Powerpoint.  I am absolutely certain that a developer could make use of this and provide a neater solution that could process a complete file, but this test is just interesting to see what's possible when we think about the uses for AI in our business.

I also appreciate that confidentiality is an issue, but if you can use a tool like this for your content then perhaps it's a useful idea to resolve you problem.  I recorded a short video as I played with it so it's a bit rough, but perhaps helpful:

[edited by: Paul at 9:54 AM (GMT 0) on 17 Mar 2023]
emoji

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

Parents
  • Wow thank you so much for making a video Paul! Interesting approach, but as you say, it would need to work on a whole powerpoint file. I also have a feeling manual processing would still be necessary as the judgment of whether a line break is mid-sentence or not requires human understanding of the language. Automated approaches tend to produce a lot of false positives which then have to be fixed manually, taking more time than just doing it manually from the start.

emoji
  •  

I also have a feeling manual processing would still be necessary as the judgment of whether a line break is mid-sentence or not requires human understanding of the language

I'd be very interested to see an example of where you think this would be required?  Just curiosity.  If you can create a small sample file that you know an automated approach gets wrong I'd love to put it to the test.  I am consistently surprised at the capabilities of this sort of technology.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Well, when a client makes a PowerPoint presentation they will sometimes use a line break to put separate words/phrases/sentences one above another in a text box (full stops may or may not be present and clients are very inconsistent in their use of full stops) and sometimes use a line break to split a phrase/sentence into two or more rows in order to fit the space available on the slide, and they will do both of these things many times in a presentation. I don't see how any automated tool could make a correct distinction between these two cases reliably without being able to understand the actual meaning of the language.

E.g. 1: A phrase split into two lines:

Introduction to

FY2022 Strategy

(Japanese sentence structure would be reversed)

E.g. 2: Two separate phrases in one text box

FY2022 Strategy

FY2022 Results

emoji
  • Well, when a client makes a PowerPoint presentation they will sometimes use a line break to put separate words/phrases/sentences one above another in a text box (full stops may or may not be present and clients are very inconsistent in their use of full stops) and sometimes use a line break to split a phrase/sentence into two or more rows in order to fit the space available on the slide, and they will do both of these things many times in a presentation. I don't see how any automated tool could make a correct distinction between these two cases reliably without being able to understand the actual meaning of the language.

E.g. 1: A phrase split into two lines:

Introduction to

FY2022 Strategy

(Japanese sentence structure would be reversed)

E.g. 2: Two separate phrases in one text box

FY2022 Strategy

FY2022 Results

emoji
Children