Right-click menu for all your scripts (or: single shortcut for all your scripts)

Hello everyone

It would seem that while everyone has a set of his favourite scripts, these scripts tend to have all separate shortcuts to activate them, and sooner or later you're going to run out of potential shortcuts.  It may also be hard to remember all the shortcuts.  So what I was thinking what might be a good idea is to create a right-click menu in Trados that you can use to run any number of scripts.  You can then save all your scripts in a separate location, edit the menu script to point to the scripts, and then use the menu instead of each individual script individually.

Creating a real-looking right-click menu is going to be quite a task, but one can create something that looks similar enough:

Custom right-click menu in Trados Studio with options like 'Find word', 'Copy fragment', 'Place tag', 'Open Notepad', and 'ExitApp'.

The menu is called by pressing Alt and right-clicking, or by pressing WinKey + W (though obviously you can edit those).  The menu usually pops up at the mouse pointer position, so if you use WinKey + W instead of Alt+ right-click, the menu may appear wherever your mouse pointer happens to be, instead of at the cursor position.

Pressing "ExitApp" closes the menu script entirely, pressing Escape (or pressing a button) only hides the menu (i.e. it "closes" the menu, but the menu script is actually still running).

With a real right-click menu, you can select options using the up/down keys, but with this menu, you can also move between the buttons using Tab/Shift+Tab.  If your button names have accelerators (i.e. characters preceded by & in the script), you can also select a button by pressing that character (in the example, I've use [&1] etc, so that pressing "1" on the keyboard will also run that script).  Pressing ENTER will obviously press the button that is currently selected.

The menu and some example scripts are here:
http://www.leuce.com/autoit/AHK%20alt%20right-click%20menu.zip

Your thoughts?  Or if you know of a program/script that does a similar thing, but much better, let me/us know!

Samuel

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 4:03 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji