AutoHotKey not working

Hi, I use Studio 2019 and have just installed the AutoHotKey Manager plugin (and also the Microsoft program mentioned here: community.sdl.com/.../3171.ahk-plugin), but I cannot get it to work. I have added 2 scripts which I found on other Studio support pages:

#IfWinActive ahk_exe SDLTradosStudio.exe
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;Go to next segment
^{Down}::
Send ^{PgDn}
Send {Down}
Send ^{PgUp}
return

and

;Go to previous segment
^{Up}::
Send ^{PgUp}
Send {Up}
Send ^{PgDn}
return

Their effect should be to enable Ctrl+Up/Down to move one segment up or down in a text (regardless of whether or not the segment is confirmed or not - for some reason, the default Ctrl+Up/Down keyboard shortcuts in Studio jumps to next/previous unconfirmed segment even though this does not seem to be the intended behaviour), but they do not work. I even disabled the default Ctrl+Up/Down shortcuts in Studio's settings in order to avoid conflicts, but this did not change anything. Can anyone help with this, please? Of course, if anyone can tell me how to get the "normal" Studio shortcuts for "Move to Next/Previous Segment" to do exactly this rather than moving to next/previous unconfirmed segment, that would be great, although I would also like to get AutoHotKey Manager to work!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Dennis

Parents
  • Hi
    Actually, I cannot remember when Ctrl+Up/Down behaved in any way other than jumping to next/previous unconfirmed segment. It is normal behavior since SDL Trados Studio 2014 as a minimum.
    What regards your script, most probably it 'does not work' because you expect a different effect. This script is for Page Up and Page Down buttons, not for Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down.
    I borrowed this script from Nora Diaz (2 lines look different from yours, but your script mentions PgUp and PgDn too, then why do you expect any effect from pressing Ctrl+Up/Down?):

;Go to next segment
    PgDn::
    Send ^{PgDn}
    Send {Down}
    Send ^{PgUp}
    return

;Go to previous segment
    PgUp::
    Send ^{PgUp}
    Send {Up}
    Send ^{PgDn}
    return

It works fine. With Page Up / Page Down buttons

• Hi
    Actually, I cannot remember when Ctrl+Up/Down behaved in any way other than jumping to next/previous unconfirmed segment. It is normal behavior since SDL Trados Studio 2014 as a minimum.
    What regards your script, most probably it 'does not work' because you expect a different effect. This script is for Page Up and Page Down buttons, not for Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down.
    I borrowed this script from Nora Diaz (2 lines look different from yours, but your script mentions PgUp and PgDn too, then why do you expect any effect from pressing Ctrl+Up/Down?):

;Go to next segment
    PgDn::
    Send ^{PgDn}
    Send {Down}
    Send ^{PgUp}
    return

;Go to previous segment
    PgUp::
    Send ^{PgUp}
    Send {Up}
    Send ^{PgDn}
    return

It works fine. With Page Up / Page Down buttons

Children
  • Hi Stepan Konev,

I agree that Ctrl+Up/Down have always jumped to next/previous unconfirmed segment, but since the description in Options does not mention "unconfirmed", either the description or the function seems to be wrong. When the descriptions of these hotkeys say that they should cause a jump to "next segment", I expect that - not a jump to next unconfirmed segment. This should be looked at by SDL.

Yes, I copied the script from Nora Diaz' post on proz.com, but I then changed it in the way I thought would cause the hotkeys Ctrl+Up/Down to work in the same way that PgUp/PgDn worked in Nora Diaz' original script, because I prefer keeping the original functioning of PgUp/PgDn. It was because of these changes that I was expecting a different result from the original script. I guess this is the meaning of scripts - that you can program them the way you want. And since that did not work, I asked for help here.

I tried the original scripts too. They do not work, either (when pressing PgUp/PgDn). Still hoping for help!
  • Ok, but did you see your version of 'Nora Diaz's post on proz.com' differs from what I originally borrowed from her post?
    Line 5 reads ^{Down}:: in your case and PgDn:: in mine. I am not sure if this makes any difference, but what if it does?..
  • Yes, I changed this line on purpose. In Nora Diaz' version, it is the PgDn (Page Down) key that activates the script. I wanted to use Ctrl+Down. The ^ character indicates Ctrl, and {Down} should indicate the down arrow key (I am not sure that the parenthesis should be there, so I just tried with ^Down, but this also does not work). I also tried with the original PgDn, and this does not work, either. Thanks for pointing it out, though.
  • Wait a minute... If so, then you have one line for Ctrl+Up key (^{Up}::)
    and another line for Page Up key (Send ^{PgUp}) right? You mix different keys within the same script. Do you think it's ok?
    Maybe it is worthy of sticking to a "single style"?

• As I understand it, the line with two colons after it tells the script which hotkey activates the script. This can be PgUp, Ctrl+Up or whatever you want. This has nothing to do with what the script actually does. The Send commands then tells the script which "virtual key presses" to execute. It is these commands that actually causes the script to do what it is supposed to. There is no need for the hotkey (in the :: line) to be identical to the commands in the Send lines. In this case, you can use Ctrl+Up to cause a script to execute PgUp commands. Again, as I understand it - if I am wrong, someone please let me know. Either way, I also tried Nora Diaz' original scripts, and they also do not work. Neither do Paul's.
  • Ok, just open an empty Notepad file, paste this and then save with ahk extension:

;Go to next segment with Ctrl+Down
    ^Down::
    Send ^{PgDn}
    Send {Down}
    Send ^{PgUp}
    return

;Go to previous segment with Ctrl+Up
    ^Up::
    Send ^{PgUp}
    Send {Up}
    Send ^{PgDn}
    return

Just tried it myself. Works

P.S. Check if the resulting Notepad file icon turns to a green square with letter H inside, and if it appears in your tray in the right lower corner after your launching it by double clicking.

• You're right, this method actually worked! I can now use Ctrl+Up/Down in Studio to move up or down one segment. I am not sure if this method makes the hotkeys global on my computer, because eg. webpages now also move when I use the hotkeys in my browser, but that is not a big problem. However, if you, Paul, are able to understand why this did not work when I used the AutoHotKey Manager plugin in Studio, but it does work when I use Stepan's method, I'd like to know, just so that I might be able to limit this hotkey to Studio.
    Anyway, thanks, both of you!
  • Hi Dennis,

It sounds like there may be a misunderstanding about how AHK scripts work. I see that both Paul and Stepan have posted the steps you need to follow to make it work, so I'll just summarize them below. I apologize if any of this is too obvious, but this was the hardest part for me to understand when I was first learning AutoHotkey. Once I understood this, then it was easy to start creating and running scripts.

To create/run AHK scripts:

1. Download and install AutoHotkey (www.autohotkey.com/.../). Don't expect to see anything happen after you've installed the program. It runs in the background and simply allows you to run scripts, but it doesn't have an interface per se.

2. Go to a folder in Windows Explorer where you want to save your scripts. Right-click on an empty space and select New - AutoHotkey script, give your script a name. This will create a file with the ahk extension, which will be empty, except for a few lines that are standard to any AutoHotkey script.

3. Open the file you've just created in a simple text editor, such as Notepad or Notepad++.

4. Paste Stepan's code below the last line in the file.

5. Save and close the file.

6. Find the file again in Windows Explorer and double-click it. This is the key step to actually launch the script so it will work.

7. Check in your system tray to see that the script is active by looking for a green square icon with a white H in it. From this icon you can also reload or exit the script by right-clicking it and choosing the appropriate action.

Once you've done this, use the hotkey combination to execute the action.The script remains active until either you exit it or you restart your computer, in which case you have to double-click the file again to launch the script once more.
  • Hi

I think the reason it didn't work for you in Studio is because you don't understand how it's working. All the AHK manager does is provide a controlled way for adding new scripts and sharing scripts with others. But it still requires AHK to be installed first, and you have to have an ahk file available as the plugin writes to it. There's nothing more complicated to it than that.
  • Nora and Paul, thanks for your explanations - you're right, Paul, I probably did not understand how AHK worked to begin with. I was expecting a function to program hotkeys in Studio - it was not clear to me that the AutoHotKey program and the Studio plugin were separate things, and that AutoHotKey was a Windows program/feature, not a Studio one. In my defence, I don't feel that the webpages I have found about the plugin make this very clear! Anyway, am I correct in assuming that:

1) AutoHotKey is a general Windows function/program which can be used in Studio? Which also means that scrips are global (works in any program in Windows, whether intentional or not)?
    2) The AHK plugin in Studio is just an easy way to edit scripts, and I might just as well create scripts by creating .ahk files and double-clicking them? In order to activate scripts made with the plugin, I would need to go to the (rather inconveniently placed) folder where the plugin places the scrips and double-click the scripts file?
    3) No matter how I create the scripts, I will have to double-click the script files again after rebooting Windows (the plugin does not automatically enable them)? Might it be possible to somehow add scripts files to the Windows startup procedure so that they get activated automatically?
    4) Can I run several .ahk files one after another to enable several hotkeys, or would they have to be added to one .ahk file?

Thanks for all your help!