Difference between Language Weaver Plugin and Cloud-based resource

What is the difference between adding Language Weaver  through the plugin for Trados Studio and using Language Weaver as a cloud-based resource?

Why are there both options when creating a project?

Trados Studio plugin options showing Language Weaver selected under Machine Translation Providers.

Cloud-based Resources settings in Trados Studio with Language Weaver selected, showing options for source and target languages, model, and dictionaries.

Language Weaver plugin interface in Trados Studio displaying project language pair, source and target languages, model selection, and linguistic options.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 6:26 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •   

Thank you for your message and for your good questions. Hope my answer below will help. 

There is no difference in the quality of the machine translation. Both options come from the Language Weaver platform and offer the same machine translation. 

The Cloud-resources option connects to the former Language Cloud platform and offers access to also other Cloud resources such as Translation Engines and Machine Translation. This is built in Trados Studio. The cloud resources platform is linked to the Language Weaver platform through an API Key. This is done automatically in the background when your accounts are set up. 

The Language Weaver plugin connects to the Language Weaver platform directly, and can only provide Language Weaver machine translation results. The plug-in was designed for customers that buy and use Language Weaver separately from Cloud resources /Language Cloud. As you can see the LW plugin has a few extra features that the cloud-resources integration doesn't. So it is up to you to decide which one to use. 

In the Language Weaver platform, you can check your usage for machine translation. See this article: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000013218

Or go directly to https://portal.languageweaver.com/reports/dashboard 

The Cloud resources platform doesn't have any machine translation management options. 

You should be using only one of the options to avoid incurring extra usage, as segments will be sent twice to the servers for translation. 

Let me know if this is helpful.

Regards, 
    Radu

emoji
  • Thanks for the quick response, that helps a lot.

However, I have a follow-up question:

What other Translation Engines and Machine Translation does the Language Cloud platform provide? And how does trados studio decide which engine will be used?

Or will trados studio only select Language Weaver as engine if I haven't activated any other engines?

emoji
Reply Children