Language Weaver Character Count

Hello, 

I have recently purchased Trados Studio and activated Language Weaver and been using them for a week now.

6 million characters (app. 1 million words) seemed very appropriate for me before purchase, but Weaver indicates that I have used app. 222,000 words so far. It seems impossible as all my project total in the Trados Studio is 60,000 words and I have not used Weaver in all of them. For clarification, I have not translated anything on the Weaver platform itself as well.

Is there any details I do not know about? How does Weaver calculate these numbers?

Kind regards.

emoji
  • Hi  

Thank you for reaching out! Blush

This can happen if you have the Cloud resources and/or the Language Weaver provider activated. See this articles that explain a bit what happens and what you can do:

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000018765

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000008379

Basically the machine translation provider, Cloud Resources or LW Plugin, is used by Trados Studio like a Translation Memory, searching it at every segment. If you perform also pre-translate and then go segment by segment, you can end up with extra usage. 

You can monitor your usage in Language Weaver as shown in this article: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000013218

My suggestion is to try on a smaller document, to see how what you in do in Trados Studio affects your LW machine translation usage. 

Hope this helps, 

Radu

emoji
  • Hi Radu, 

Yes, I use Pretranslate (to use 'change all' option for certain terms) and then I go segment by segment. In this case, Weaver must be using its resources two times for each segment, thereby doubling the used character count. I have not considered it before. Thanks for clarifying the issue.

Kind regards, 

Yasemin 

emoji
  • I find it really helpful to learn about this problem. So, we should not use Pretranslate function to avoid double counting, should we? Sorry for asking this, how should we use Machine translation efficiently? (For now, I have not started using it yet due to some problems with installation but just want to exclude extra usage in the future). Thank you.

emoji
  • Why don´t you just deactivate Language Weaver resource upon pretranslation???

You configure the project settings as: TM as a priority source (if you have any, of course). Then you add LW (in my case, it´s DeepL) as a source of machine translation, which will be applied only in case nothing is found in your memory with the match% you define.

To define a TM as a main source, use arrows, so that your TM (or TMs) appear FIRST in the list of resources:

Trados Studio project settings showing the prioritization of translation memory (TM) with arrows indicating TM is first in the list of resources.

Now go to Batch tasks-Pretranslation and don´t forget to mark the box: Apply machine translation as in p.3 below. If you don´t, only TM results will appear after pretranslation:

Trados Studio pretranslation configuration with minimum match value set to 85, options to maintain existing translation, and apply machine translation checked.

It´s in Spanish, but you can deduce:

Step 1: define match % of fuzzies that will be taken form your TM(s). Important: TM-based translations will not (or at least, MUST NOT, subtract from the 6 mln.characters you have).

You can even go further in case of documents with lots of numbers, alphanumeric data and other non-translatables: before running pretranslation, filter them, just copy them to the target segments and change their status to Translated.

Then be careful to check option 1 "Maintain the existing translation", so that Trados would skip them during pretranslation.

Step 2: check or uncheck the confirmation boxes (depends on how much you trust your TM, of course); I personally prefer to go through CM and 100% and when they are not confirmed, the program does not skip them (you also have filters for those, so it´s up to each translator),

Step 3: Don´t forget to check this option. If not, MT will not be applied, but MAY count the characters from your 6 mln."account", since LW will be activated in your project settings, so be careful with that.

When you are done and have reopened the project in the editor window, go to the Project settings again and remove it from the list of the language resources. 

Hope, this helps. 

Best regards!

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 12:33 PM (GMT 0) on 27 Mar 2024]