QA for forbidden terms

Hi there,

I want QA to check if million is not translated as billion in any segment.

I added the term to my TB marking its correct equivalent as "Right" and the prohibited term as "Wrong" choosing from the picklist attributes I preset for this descriptive field.

In the Terminology Verifier I ticked the checkbox "Check for terms which may have been set as forbidden" and selected "Wrong" as forbidden value (and left "Right" unchecked).

Now, the QA runs and throws an error message for all the segments where million or billion is used, even if used correctly (i.e. with the term marked as "Right").

Any idea?
Thanks, Levente

Parents
  • Hi

I use this feature for Multiterm / Studio and it works fine for me. Can you post a couple of screenshots where this issue happens in Studio? This way I can try to reproduce it and maybe help.

Also a screenshot of implied entry in Multiterm so I can see your structure, something like:

In Studio I see:

Almudena

• Hi Almudena Ballester,

Thank you for the quick reply.

So, in the meanwhile I have tried all possible variations of ticking and unticking boxes and found out that apparently the order of the picklist items matters. Though I really don't see the logic behind this. 

I have redesigned the picklist so that "forbidden" comes before "allowed", and now it works fine as you can see it on the pictures below.

Can you confirm my assumption on the order of picklist items? I really don't want to inadvertently rely on some hidden setting and get into trouble when working on another computer.

Thanks, Levente

• Hi again Levente:

I don't think the order has something to do in this case. I have just the opposite and it works:

I also realized, when configuring the Termbase, that there is no need to mark the "good" translations as preferred or allowed, it is just enough to mark forbidden ones - actually, all other translations in an entry are "allowed" by default. You can spare a lot of field-filling if you have only two categories. 

But you have to be aware of this: if you mark a term as forbidden, Studio will not check the whole entry but just this field. So it can happen that Studio throws an error message for a term which is a mistake as a translation for one term, but it is correct as a translation for another different term.

As an example, let's say that "burdeos" (ES) should be translated as "bordeaux" (PT) and should not be translated as "grená". In the same Termbase, "granate" should be translated as "grená" indeed. Studio will mark as mistakenly translated the word "grená" in target, no matter the source :(

That's really a shortcoming in Studio Terminology Verifier, in my view. Terminology in translation works dually, terms correspond one to each other, term source matches term target. Absolute lists of forbidden words work only partially, maybe to avoid some specific words, rude ones, copyrighted or the like. But concerning terminology verifications, the pair of words must be checked.

So... in your case, "billion"... always will be forbidden. 

Regards,

Almudena

• Hi Almudena,
    So to put it simple:
    The Verifier will always throw an error message whenever it finds a forbidden term no matter the source segment...
    Splendid. So what is the whole point of storing this field information in a term-pair relation instead of just adding them to a black list of never-use words (if this option would be available)?
    Also, could you suggest any workaround to my problem? Million-billion mistakes are show-stoppers in any translation.
    Thanks,
    Levente
Reply Children