Another umlaut problem

Term matching fails for accented word. Although the TB contains "Fachboden" and "Fachböden", only "Fachböden" appears in the term match list. Trados Studio 2019.Screenshot of Trados Studio 2019 showing term matching failure. The term 'Fachboden' is highlighted in the source text, but the term recognition pane only displays 'Fachb den' from the termbase.  

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:06 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • Hi 

In 2021 CU9, I am able to reproduce what you are describing and I am replying to 2 different concerns raised.

1. Umlant

From my perspective and in my summary: Studio cant differentiate between a words where the only different is the umlant. From this there are 2 areas to look into and are somewhat similar and overlapping 

Firstly: you get term recognition even through you only have 1 true term
    Studio should not be picking up Fachböden as a recognised term.

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing Term Recognition and Termbase Viewer panels with the term 'Fachboden' highlighted, indicating an issue with term differentiation.

Secondly: Studio should recognise both words as two separate terms when umlant is the only difference 
    So when wanting to manage the word sold and söld as 2 different terms, it does not naturally behave in that way 

Screenshot of a Trados Studio warning message stating 'Selected Term Already Exists' with options to edit the existing term or cancel.Screenshot of Trados Studio displaying a Termbase entry for the German terms 'Sold' and 'S ld', highlighting the issue with umlaut differentiation.

Clearly umlant support for file based termbase seems odd, regardless of how I adapted my term search settings. 

However, if you have access to Live Terminology through your Trados Live environment it is behaving as expected 
    Screenshot of Trados Studio's Term Recognition panel showing the term 'Fachboden' with a test label, indicating correct term recognition.Screenshot of Trados Studio's Term Recognition panel showing the terms 'Sold' and 'S ld' with a test label, indicating an issue with term frequency recognition.

2. Term Frequency 

Once again I am able to reproduce what you described with little more to add at this stage.

I will look into these 2 key areas in more detail over the next few days and will update this post with any news 

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 2:06 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Thanks Lydia for your feedback.
    Because term matching in Live Environment also has its issues, it is not appropriate for me. It is unfortunate, at least for me, that future developments are being made with online tools, rather than in traditional standalone mode.

I have tried some tests with the "count" problem: Verify acts all or none. If there are no matches, the number of missing matches is flagged. If there is one or more missing matches, only one missing match is always flagged.   

emoji