Another umlaut problem

Term matching fails for accented word. Although the TB contains "Fachboden" and "Fachböden", only "Fachböden" appears in the term match list. Trados Studio 2019.Screenshot of Trados Studio 2019 showing term matching failure. The term 'Fachboden' is highlighted in the source text, but the term recognition pane only displays 'Fachb den' from the termbase.  

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:06 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi Anthony,

I ran a little test with a tiny local MultiTerm termbase just with "Fachboden" and "Fachböden" in there. In my case, only the term "Fachboden" was found, no matter if the term occurred in the singular or plural form. I guess - just a thought - that it's best to store just the root form in a termbase anyway. For any derivatives like the plural in this example, the root form should be found in both local and online termbases thanks to fuzzy and (online) linguistic search. I guess you have both the singular and plural so that you can quickly insert "shelves" into the target? For this kind of use case, if both forms occur in your translation memory often, then if you create an AutoSuggest dictionary for the TM, then I would hope it would end up containing both forms in AutoSuggest while typing, so you can then select "shelves" quickly from there. So perhaps the termbase should just store the root form, and any derivatives come through AutoSuggest dictionaries. Another option for slightly larger TMs (> 5000 TUs) is to rely on fragment matching (upLIFT) from the TM. Such fragments can work like terms in many cases, and I would think both variants will be found in this case and also appear in AutoSuggest automatically (if both forms come up often enough to be statistically relevant). So in summary - I would think that termbases should ideally just have the root form, and any derivative forms should be found through TM-driven mechanisms like AutoSuggest dictionaries or fragment matching. Thanks, Daniel

emoji
  • Thanks Daniel.
    I deleted "Fachboden" and at least this problem no longer occurs, but MT should be corrected to prevent this situation.

emoji
Reply Children
No Data