Merging terms manually in MultiTerm 2019

While I work in MT, it's sometimes hard to tell impromptu if a term is eligible to be merged with another one. Oftentimes, there will be a suggestion for a term to be merged even if it's entered under a different category or subject. I am a beginner and being careful, I've left quite a few terms out without merging in my termbase. Hence the following questions:

1) Is there an option to manually merge two hand-picked terms as a form of termbase management after the primary editing is done and after choosing the 'Duplicate' command?

2) Or is there a batch option that would allow me to see the terms next to each other before deciding if they should be merged? We are talking same termbase here.

Thanks,

Marta

emoji
  • Hello Marta,

It is indeed safer not to automatically merge entries having the same term in a specific language, as you don't know what the content of the already existing entry is. So just create a new entry, even if MultiTerm suggests to merge. After having created the new entry, you can search for duplicate terms (in the Search group of the Home ribbon: see picture below):

Trados Studio screenshot showing the Search group in the Home ribbon with an option to 'Search for Duplicate Terms' highlighted.

Pay attention to the fact that there should be no entry open in the entry pane.

When you have duplicate terms, just click on the first one to open it in the entry pane where you can have a look at the content of the entry. Then press Ctrl while openening a second entry with a duplicate term. Here again you can check the content of the second entry. If you want to merge them (as they stand for the same meaning), Then right click in one of the entries and select Merge

Screenshot of a right-click context menu in Trados Studio with the 'Merge' option highlighted.

You will have to confirm merging (one of the entries will be deleted, but this is no problem, as its content is available on the other entry).

Be aware that MultiTerm doesn't have an Undo function, so think twice before you merge entries.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 2:07 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hello Joël,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer, I appreciate it!

emoji