Bug with input models? Mandatory fields get added to previously created term records

I am using Trados Studio 2022 Professional SR1.
I am having problems with the input models in Multiterm Desktop. If I create an input model because I want to automatically add the same Field/Value to a series of term records I want to create, two things happen:

1. In order for that Field/Value to be automatically added when I create a new record after activating the Input model, it needs to be defined as Mandatory:  

Input Model Wizard showing 'Context' field with default content 'Reunion Mundial' and 'Mandatory' checkbox selected.

However, the problem with that is that, if mandatory, that Field/Value is not only added to the new records I am creating, but to all previously created records, both in Multiterm Desktop and in the Studio Multiterm interface (Termbase Viewer). This is quite disconcerting. See image of term record previously created before I activated the input model (first) and then what happens to that already existing record when I activate the new input model (second) with a mandatory Field/value.

Termbase Viewer in Trados Studio without 'Context' field before activating the input model.

Termbase Viewer in Trados Studio showing 'Context: Reunion Mundial' added to an existing term record after activating the input model.
2. In I don´t make that Field/Value Mandatory in the Input model, then when I create a term record after activating the input model, that Field/Value is not added automatically, so there is no much point in creating the input model to save time.

MultiTerm Desktop interface with a note explaining the need to uncheck 'Mandatory' to avoid adding 'Context' to all records.

MultiTerm Desktop interface showing 'Context: Reunion Mundial' added to a new term record with 'Mandatory' checked.

Is this a bug or normal behavior? Am I missing something?
As I understand it, an input model should not modify in any way previously created records (or show an added Field/Value even if it´s not saved in the record), but only apply to newly created records after activating said input model.
Thanks.  

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 7:40 PM (GMT 1) on 1 May 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi  ,

Would using the Flags layout be an option? It has always worked well with input models, while the Default layout often causes unexpected surprises.

Also, before creating/editing an input model, it is best to remove the termbase from your Project Settings, then close Trados. Then, make your changes in MultiTerm and save them. Then, start Trados again, add the termbase, select your input model and preferably Flags Layout. This should work.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Annette (from Manfred's account)

emoji
  • Hi Annette. Thanks for your reply. The problem with the Flags layout is that it defeats the purpose of using an input model, which is to save time. With the Flags layout the records are not automatically created with the option Quick Add. The record is open in Edit mode in the Termbase Viewer. You need to then click on Save for the record to be saved and available via Term recognition. Indeed, with Flags layout, the other previously created records are not touched, because in that layout you first need to click on Edit.
    Yes, I had noticed that when playing with Input models, you first need to make all necessary changes in Multiterm and then restart Trados so that those changes are taken into account. 
    Thanks for trying to help. 

emoji
  • Hi  ,

The problem with the Flags layout is that it defeats the purpose of using an input model, which is to save time. With the Flags layout the records are not automatically created with the option Quick Add. The record is open in Edit mode in the Termbase Viewer. You need to then click on Save for the record to be saved and available via Term recognition. 

I have used input models in combination with Flags layout for ages, and it works perfectly. 

I usually highlight the terms to be added to the termbase, press CTRL+F2 to display the term in the Termbase Viewer in Edit mode. I often add a source  or other information and then press F12 to save my entry. This is really straightforward. With CTRL+SHIFT+F2, the entry is saved directly, including all fields and values from the input model.

For some reason, the layout sometimes changes to "Languages only", so it seems that the values from the input model do not exist, but they are there.

Best regards

Annette 

emoji
  • Hi  ,

The problem with the Flags layout is that it defeats the purpose of using an input model, which is to save time. With the Flags layout the records are not automatically created with the option Quick Add. The record is open in Edit mode in the Termbase Viewer. You need to then click on Save for the record to be saved and available via Term recognition. 

I have used input models in combination with Flags layout for ages, and it works perfectly. 

I usually highlight the terms to be added to the termbase, press CTRL+F2 to display the term in the Termbase Viewer in Edit mode. I often add a source  or other information and then press F12 to save my entry. This is really straightforward. With CTRL+SHIFT+F2, the entry is saved directly, including all fields and values from the input model.

For some reason, the layout sometimes changes to "Languages only", so it seems that the values from the input model do not exist, but they are there.

Best regards

Annette 

emoji
Children
No Data