Number of elements in picklists

Dear all,

I'm trying to find out if there is a limitation in the number of elements a pikclist in MultiTerm can have but couldn't find anything about it in the documentation. Does anyone know the limit, if any?

Thank you very much in advance,

M.

emoji
Parents
  •   I created a test termbase to check on this issue. I would then say that the number of elements you can include in a picklist is unlimited, because a picklist is just another text field which theoretically can take up to 1GB of text (if we are to judge by the underlying database technology of a termbase). Please note that I said 'theoretically' but MultiTerm Desktop may have internally its own limits (which we don't know, and that's the reason of your inquiry). However, my test only included 30 elements and the termbase manages them very easily.

On the other hand, let me ask you, are you trying to include a lot of picklist elements or values in your termbase? However, if you need to include a lot of elements, you may want to rethink the design of your termbase. I hope my reply will help.

emoji
  • Thank you,  .

We are discussing what exactly to include as a picklist in the product field. I personally am not fond of extremely long lists but others are and I thought it would be a good idea to first find out what is possible because it has no sense to discuss about something that turns out impossible at the end. 

emoji
  • Monica, if you allow me, I would like to quickly review this concept (perhaps useful for other MultiTerm users).

The idea behind picklists is to include (predictable and repetitive) values which you can choose and include in a particular descriptive field, instead of typing. Case in point, countries or geographical locations in general, parts of speech, terminology assessment ('accepted','forbidden','deprecated','TBD',etc.) and so on. Also keep in mind that in a field with a picklist more than one value can be selected, which will show in MultiTerm with a tiny x icon next to each value (to remove it), and in the termbase database each value separated by the pipe symbol "|", for instance "New Zealand|Australia|England".

Needless to say, a well-thought-out picklist will save a lot of time and effort when updating a termbase.

emoji
  • Monica, if you allow me, I would like to quickly review this concept (perhaps useful for other MultiTerm users).

The idea behind picklists is to include (predictable and repetitive) values which you can choose and include in a particular descriptive field, instead of typing. Case in point, countries or geographical locations in general, parts of speech, terminology assessment ('accepted','forbidden','deprecated','TBD',etc.) and so on. Also keep in mind that in a field with a picklist more than one value can be selected, which will show in MultiTerm with a tiny x icon next to each value (to remove it), and in the termbase database each value separated by the pipe symbol "|", for instance "New Zealand|Australia|England".

Needless to say, a well-thought-out picklist will save a lot of time and effort when updating a termbase.

emoji
Children
No Data