Terminology-aware machine translation in Trados 2024

Dear Community!

We are currently analyzing the upgrade of current 2022 licenses to 2024, therefore studying all the novelties offered by this new version.

According to the information available, MT results can be modified by the terminology available in the Multiterm dictionary, isn´t it?

So as far as I can understand, the working principle is the same as with the DeepL glossaries (which I personally prefer to call "MT correction lists", cause they are 100% personalized to the type of text translated and provide almost no information for a better understanding of a specific term). Or are there other benefits that I don´t see?

However, the "handicap" I see is how the MT provider will "choose" the term from the list of terms available in the Multiterm database?

Practical example 1: 

PLANO (Spanish term): in our corporate MDB we have three entries for "plano": 1) wheel tread defect 2) plane (vertical, horizontal...) and 3 ) drawing. 

In this particular case, which term would the AI Assistant 2024 be aware???? 

Practical case 2:

Bocina de agudos: this entry has 3 synonym terms in English: high-pitch horn, high-pitched horn and whistle.

Which synonym of the three would the AI Assistant use in this case? 

DeepL glossaries are more specific, i.e. they allow to correct a specific word with another specific word, only one. 

However, if the Multiterm glossary is applied in Trados 2024 following the same principle...how will the algorythm  work? And then, can Multiterm termonology be used on the MT provided by DeepL? Or is is mandatory to use other MT resources (Azure, Open Ai, etc?)

Thanks in advance!

emoji
Parents
  •  

the working principle is the same as with the DeepL glossaries

Well, "jein", as we might say in German. Yes and no. At this point, the AI is just given the recognized terms, without any metadata. Insofar yes, your termbase is in a way reduced to a glossary. I hope this will change and there will be a way to choose other fields from the termbase to be handed to the AI.

If you prompt the AI to give you several suggestions, you will see that it varies which of the synonyms it uses. And you can instruct it to use a fitting synonym. Insofar, no, it's not like a DeepL glossary. That will always slot in the first fitting term it comes across, even if it makes little sense. With the AI, you can instruct it how to select a synonym. You might have to custom tailor your prompt for a particular translation to tell AI what the context is, but even a general instruction works. See screenshots below, I created a termbase with two translations for the English word "stain", and gave it two sentences. I also instructed AI to explain its choice.

In the first sentence, MT got the correct term, which is accepted by AI. In the second sentence, MT got the wrong term, and AI corrects it:

Screenshot of MultiTerm translation software showing two English to German translation results with term recognition for the word 'stain'. AI Assistant provides an explanation for choosing 'Fleck' as the translation.

Screenshot of MultiTerm translation software displaying English to German translation results. The AI Assistant explains the choice of 'Beize' for the word 'stain' in the context of wood staining.

This is just a quick test. I am sure this could be refined substantially.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 8:18 PM (GMT 1) on 16 Oct 2024]
  •  

the working principle is the same as with the DeepL glossaries

Well, "jein", as we might say in German. Yes and no. At this point, the AI is just given the recognized terms, without any metadata. Insofar yes, your termbase is in a way reduced to a glossary. I hope this will change and there will be a way to choose other fields from the termbase to be handed to the AI.

If you prompt the AI to give you several suggestions, you will see that it varies which of the synonyms it uses. And you can instruct it to use a fitting synonym. Insofar, no, it's not like a DeepL glossary. That will always slot in the first fitting term it comes across, even if it makes little sense. With the AI, you can instruct it how to select a synonym. You might have to custom tailor your prompt for a particular translation to tell AI what the context is, but even a general instruction works. See screenshots below, I created a termbase with two translations for the English word "stain", and gave it two sentences. I also instructed AI to explain its choice.

In the first sentence, MT got the correct term, which is accepted by AI. In the second sentence, MT got the wrong term, and AI corrects it:

Screenshot of MultiTerm translation software showing two English to German translation results with term recognition for the word 'stain'. AI Assistant provides an explanation for choosing 'Fleck' as the translation.

Screenshot of MultiTerm translation software displaying English to German translation results. The AI Assistant explains the choice of 'Beize' for the word 'stain' in the context of wood staining.

This is just a quick test. I am sure this could be refined substantially.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 8:18 PM (GMT 1) on 16 Oct 2024]
Children
No Data