Deletion of multiple entries

In importing my MT 5.1 files into new MT Studio databases somehow quite a number of entries were duplicated. Sometimes they even appear 12 times in my database. Since my MT database is rather extensive, trying to fix this manually would take days.

In MT 5.1 it was very simple: just synchronize on index field, and double entries were combined.
Why doesn't this work in MT 2014?

Parents
  • Hi Ineke,

It should work in MT 2014 as well.  Maybe try reorganizing your termbase first?  Perhaps something was lost during the upgrade?

Another way that might be interesting for you is to export to Excel using the Glossary Converter and then use excel to easily remove duplicates and convert back again afterwards.  How easy this will be depends mostly on the complexity of your termbase but the Glossary Converter is an excellent tool that everyone should have in their armoury:

• Paul, thank you for your reply. My TM termbase is very extensive, so extensive that I am using 3 of them now, because someone told me they do not work properly anymore when they are bigger than 200 mb. And all combined, mine are definitely larger.

I tried reorganising, exporting and importing them in a new termbase, and the only effect it had was multiplying even more entries, so it doesn't work as easily as in MT 5.1.
    The best way would be to have an export file that could be imported in MT 5.1, which worked very fine for me, then create a new export and import it in MT 2014 again.

Cleaning up the file in Excel is not an option, it is simply too big and too time consuming.
    I tried the glossary converter, but it did not make me happy. I spend a few hours tossing around with it, but it didn't do what I wanted, so I gave up again.
  • Paul, thank you for your reply. My TM termbase is very extensive, so extensive that I am using 3 of them now, because someone told me they do not work properly anymore when they are bigger than 200 mb. And all combined, mine are definitely larger.

I tried reorganising, exporting and importing them in a new termbase, and the only effect it had was multiplying even more entries, so it doesn't work as easily as in MT 5.1.
    The best way would be to have an export file that could be imported in MT 5.1, which worked very fine for me, then create a new export and import it in MT 2014 again.

Cleaning up the file in Excel is not an option, it is simply too big and too time consuming.
    I tried the glossary converter, but it did not make me happy. I spend a few hours tossing around with it, but it didn't do what I wanted, so I gave up again.
Children