Custom bilingual XML with HTML embedded content

Hi Community,

I received a custom XML file, with HTML embedded content, with both the source and the target content in it.

Screenshot of XML code with HTML tags such as 'span' and 'li' not being processed correctly in Trados Studio.

Screenshot showing XML content with embedded HTML not recognized by Trados Studio, displaying tags like 'span' and 'li' as plain text.

I tried creating a custom file type in Studio, but despite selecting the 'HTML embedded content processor', the HTML code such as <span> and <li> is not picked up and processed by Studio.

Also both the source content and the translation should be imported into the file, so the translation can be reviewed in Studio. I am not quite sure where to start.

Please find below a sample file and the custom file type, as far as I got:

XML file.zip

Can you please help me, pointing me to the right direction?

Thank you!!
Greta

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 4:46 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply
  • Thank you,  !

An interesting approach, although I'd say it's even a bit more laborious than the one I have managed to come up with.

My source file = "lazy xliff" (bilingual xliff from WordPress, already pretranslated, big chunks of code within CDATA elements). Built-in Trados xliff filetype delivered bad segmentation (paragraph-level) and some tag issues. Multilingual xml filetype delivers nice segmentation and tag handling, but alignment issues. So, using multilingual xml file type, here's my workaround:

1. Process source xliff/xml file [a].
    2. Copy text to target (all segments)
    3. Rename source xliff/xml file [b] and process it again, but in reverse (mapping xml target element as the source lang.)
    4. Export [a] & [b] as Word (I use SDL XLIFF Converter)
    5. In Word, merge the exported [a]+[b] files (by copying either source or target  column of [b] to target column of [a])
    6. Import merged Word file back to Trados, into file [a].

BEFORE:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing a segment comparison with a red box highlighting alignment issues in the target text.

AFTER:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface after corrections, with a green box indicating proper alignment and segmentation in the target text.

Hope it helps and please feel free to suggest any improvement ideas.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:46 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
Children
No Data