"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Hi,

I am trying to prepare a project using some html files. When the project is preparing I get an error message for all the files saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The whole error message is below.

Can anyone provide some assistance on what I can do as at the moment I cannot prepare this project.

Thanks in advance

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<SDLErrorDetails time="9/7/2017 10:47:15 AM">

<ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>

-<Exception>

<Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>

<HelpLink/>

<Source>Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html</Source>

<HResult>-2147467261</HResult>

-<StackTrace>

<![CDATA[ at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Services.ParagraphUnitOutputService.IsProtectedStyleElement(HtmlParserElement htmlParserElement) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Services.ParagraphUnitOutputService.AddMetaForCssStyleEntity(IParagraphUnit paragraphUnit, HtmlParserElement htmlParserElement) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Services.ParagraphUnitOutputService.Output(HtmlParserElement htmlParserElement) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Consumers.Parser.NonHtmlContentConsumer.Consume(Entity entity) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Routes.Parser.NonHtmlContentEntityRoute.Handle(Entity entity) at lambda_method(Closure , IMessage ) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Infrastructure.Dispatcher.Publish(IMessage message) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Parser.EntityParsed(Entity entity) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Services.ParserService.Publish(Entity parsedEntity) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Services.ParserService.Parse() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Html.Parser.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileExtractor.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.Parse() at Sdl.ProjectApi.AutomaticTasks.Conversion.ConversionTask.ProcessFile(IExecutingTaskFile executingTaskFile) at Sdl.ProjectApi.AutomaticTasks.AbstractFileLevelAutomaticTaskImplementation.Execute()]]>

</StackTrace>

</Exception>

-<Environment>

<ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>

<ProductVersion>12.0.0.0</ProductVersion>

<EntryAssemblyFileVersion>12.3.5281.10</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>

<OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 7 Professional </OperatingSystem>

<ServicePack>Service Pack 1</ServicePack>

<OperatingSystemLanguage>1033</OperatingSystemLanguage>

<CodePage>1252</CodePage>

<LoggedOnUser>PEAK\peak5</LoggedOnUser>

<DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>

<ComputerName>PEAK-0315-01</ComputerName>

<ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>

<PhysicalMemory>4100308 MB</PhysicalMemory>

</Environment>

</SDLErrorDetails>

Parents Reply
  • Hi ,

Between other things I have been looking. The file does look to be invalid XHTML and I have been working through the errors. So far I made these changes and am getting further, but still can't process the file:

- Capitalised the DOCTYPE declaration as this is required for xhtml
    - Closed some unclosed elements, also required for xhtml
    - Put the script element contents inside CDATA where I thought it would be appropriate and so it stopped the entity errors

All of these issues can be found in any validation tool, it's not just Studio. So at the moment I'm inclined to think the files are just invalid. But I wanted to get to the bottom of them so I could actually process them successfully. I may never do!!

Have you spoken to your client about the files?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

Children