Can't access Google Translate in Trados Studio 2017

Hello everybody,

usually I shun machine translation, I prefer a good TM and handwritten translations. However, currently I have a job with a lot of fluff text inbetween where a machine translation could save a lot of time. Being low-difficulty text I just wanted to use the normal Google Translate (NDA is no issue here) and rework everything that is not up to snuff; no need to license a high-quality machine translation server for that... however I see no option to add Google Translate, is that correct? Still using Trados 2017 btw. All I wanted was a so-so quality pre-translation for the fluff text without starting a subscription right away.

Trados Studio 2017 Translation Memory and Automated Translation settings window with a red question mark indicating an error or warning next to the Google Cloud Translation API option.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 1:58 PM (GMT 0) on 28 Feb 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi

"Google Cloud Translation API" is the Google Translate you need. There is no possibility to use it without starting a subscription because you need an API key from Google to use it.

One solution you might use is to copy the source document into Google Translate on the web, then copy the translation into a new document. Finally align the translation with your source text so you have a TM. Add the TM to your project and pretranslate against that. If you create a new source file too just for the alignment then the process will be smoother as the formatting will match.

You could also penalise the TM so you don't have 100% matches throughout to help you remember they came from an MT engine.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Hi

"Google Cloud Translation API" is the Google Translate you need. There is no possibility to use it without starting a subscription because you need an API key from Google to use it.

One solution you might use is to copy the source document into Google Translate on the web, then copy the translation into a new document. Finally align the translation with your source text so you have a TM. Add the TM to your project and pretranslate against that. If you create a new source file too just for the alignment then the process will be smoother as the formatting will match.

You could also penalise the TM so you don't have 100% matches throughout to help you remember they came from an MT engine.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

Children