Translating an WordPress website in Trados Studio

I have received an enquiry for the translation of an entire website that has been created in WordPress and the RWS Community doesn't seem to offer anything specifically on this topic. What I/my client would basically like to know is:

Can I use the WordPress "wp_posts" table from the database, or which export file format is best (SQL, CVS, XML, etc.)?
How can my customer import the translation back into WordPress without overwriting the original German version of the site?
Can they check and/or correct the source file after exporting it from WP and before sending it to me?
How should they handle the translated file and can they review/proofread my translation before importing the English translation back into WordPress?

From what I can find here in the Community, it seems as if WordPress exports XML files or WPML tables. Is that right?

emoji
Parents
  • How can my customer import the translation back into WordPress without overwriting the original German version of the site?

This is probably the first question to answer.  Your customer needs to make sure they have created a multilingual Wordpress site. This page may be a good starting point:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-easily-create-a-multilingual-wordpress-site/

Can they check and/or correct the source file after exporting it from WP and before sending it to me?

I would suggest they make sure the source is correct in Wordpress and then when they export you are dealing with the corrected file.  I would not change the exported file as you risk trying to import a target file that won't import correctly.  I don't really have any experience to speak of here but this seems logical to me.  I did set up a multilngual wordpress site once some time ago just to play with itand it was quite straightforward.  The only problem was really the exported files which brings me onto the next point:

Can I use the WordPress "wp_posts" table from the database, or which export file format is best (SQL, CVS, XML, etc.)?

WP does have an XLIFF export.  But their export is really poor.  However, you can deal with it quite (relatively speaking) easily using the Multilingual XML filetype rather than the XLIFF filetype as it will handle the large chunks of html WP stick into single CDATA sections much more comfortably.

I'd recommend you work with your client to set up the multilingual site in a test space on their server, learn how it works and what the options are, and test a few workflows.

Alternatively, if you have something like Trados Enterprise then you could use a connector, but you'd still need the multilingual wordpress site in the first place:

https://www.trados.com/solutions/connectors/

Someone with more experience here may be better to answer, but this would be my view.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • How can my customer import the translation back into WordPress without overwriting the original German version of the site?

This is probably the first question to answer.  Your customer needs to make sure they have created a multilingual Wordpress site. This page may be a good starting point:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-easily-create-a-multilingual-wordpress-site/

I would suggest they make sure the source is correct in Wordpress and then when they export you are dealing with the corrected file.  I would not change the exported file as you risk trying to import a target file that won't import correctly.  I don't really have any experience to speak of here but this seems logical to me.  I did set up a multilngual wordpress site once some time ago just to play with itand it was quite straightforward.  The only problem was really the exported files which brings me onto the next point:

WP does have an XLIFF export.  But their export is really poor.  However, you can deal with it quite (relatively speaking) easily using the Multilingual XML filetype rather than the XLIFF filetype as it will handle the large chunks of html WP stick into single CDATA sections much more comfortably.

I'd recommend you work with your client to set up the multilingual site in a test space on their server, learn how it works and what the options are, and test a few workflows.

Alternatively, if you have something like Trados Enterprise then you could use a connector, but you'd still need the multilingual wordpress site in the first place:

https://www.trados.com/solutions/connectors/

Someone with more experience here may be better to answer, but this would be my view.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children