Arabic comma comes before the word not after it in Arabic Saudi Arabian (Trados 2022)

I installed Trados 2022 and there's a technical issue with it.

Arabic comma comes before the word, not after it in Arabic Saudi Arabian.

Screenshot of Trados Studio 2022 showing Arabic text with a comma incorrectly placed to the right of the last word instead of the left.

The comma here should be at the left of the last word, not on the right.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 11:45 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • I can confirm this issue,  but there's more than meets the eye here.

I took the sentence posted by Mohamed, pasted into a text file, add the text file into Studio and tried to translate the word app (I translate into Hebrew but that doesn't matter).

The result was the same as what Mohamed got. The parentheses seem to be reversed:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing reversed parentheses in the translation from English to Hebrew in the Editor environment.

However, because the order of the rest of the sentence looks fine I suspected this might be a visual (what you see on screen in the Editor environment) and not a logical (a problem with the file structure) issue. And indeed, when Saving target as... the result looks correct:

Screenshot of a Notepad document showing the correct rendering of parentheses in the translated Hebrew text after using 'Save target as' function.

To further confirm this is a visual issue, I proceeded to fix this manually by typing the wrong type of parenthesis (closing parenthesis for opening parenthesis, and opening parenthesis for closing parenthesis) to get the text looking correctly inside the Editor environment:

Screenshot of Trados Studio with manually corrected parentheses in the Editor environment, showing the text as it should appear visually.

And as expected, when Saving target as... the parentheses were rendered as what they are, closing or opening respectively, which resulted in the translated text not looking correct. This further confirms a visual issue because in both cases the parentheses were rendered correctly in the target document despite looking backward in the Editor environment.

Screenshot of a Notepad document displaying incorrect rendering of manually corrected parentheses in the translated Hebrew text after 'Save target as' function.

I repeated this experiment with Word (copying the file into Word) and the results are the same. The parentheses look backward in the Editor environment but rendered correctly in the target document, which indicates a visual BiDi issue in the Editor environment and not a problem with the file filter or anything that has to do with the structure of the target document.

I quickly tested other punctuation marks, for example a list of items separated by commas (both in RTL alone and a mixed list) and the Editor environment behaved as expected. A list of English names separated by commas was not rendered correctly but this is to be expected. Adding the RTL control characters fixed this, which is again the expected behavior.

I need to do some more testing but these are the initial finding. It seems that for one reason or another, parentheses are not rendered correctly visually in the Editor environment. This doesn't exist in the Studio 2019 (and doesn't seem to exist in Studio 2021 either), so hopefully this could give the development team a hint that will allow them to fix this because despite eventually being rendered correctly in the target document, it is very distracting and even difficult to work like this in the Editor environment. 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:46 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • I can confirm this issue,  but there's more than meets the eye here.

I took the sentence posted by Mohamed, pasted into a text file, add the text file into Studio and tried to translate the word app (I translate into Hebrew but that doesn't matter).

The result was the same as what Mohamed got. The parentheses seem to be reversed:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing reversed parentheses in the translation from English to Hebrew in the Editor environment.

However, because the order of the rest of the sentence looks fine I suspected this might be a visual (what you see on screen in the Editor environment) and not a logical (a problem with the file structure) issue. And indeed, when Saving target as... the result looks correct:

Screenshot of a Notepad document showing the correct rendering of parentheses in the translated Hebrew text after using 'Save target as' function.

To further confirm this is a visual issue, I proceeded to fix this manually by typing the wrong type of parenthesis (closing parenthesis for opening parenthesis, and opening parenthesis for closing parenthesis) to get the text looking correctly inside the Editor environment:

Screenshot of Trados Studio with manually corrected parentheses in the Editor environment, showing the text as it should appear visually.

And as expected, when Saving target as... the parentheses were rendered as what they are, closing or opening respectively, which resulted in the translated text not looking correct. This further confirms a visual issue because in both cases the parentheses were rendered correctly in the target document despite looking backward in the Editor environment.

Screenshot of a Notepad document displaying incorrect rendering of manually corrected parentheses in the translated Hebrew text after 'Save target as' function.

I repeated this experiment with Word (copying the file into Word) and the results are the same. The parentheses look backward in the Editor environment but rendered correctly in the target document, which indicates a visual BiDi issue in the Editor environment and not a problem with the file filter or anything that has to do with the structure of the target document.

I quickly tested other punctuation marks, for example a list of items separated by commas (both in RTL alone and a mixed list) and the Editor environment behaved as expected. A list of English names separated by commas was not rendered correctly but this is to be expected. Adding the RTL control characters fixed this, which is again the expected behavior.

I need to do some more testing but these are the initial finding. It seems that for one reason or another, parentheses are not rendered correctly visually in the Editor environment. This doesn't exist in the Studio 2019 (and doesn't seem to exist in Studio 2021 either), so hopefully this could give the development team a hint that will allow them to fix this because despite eventually being rendered correctly in the target document, it is very distracting and even difficult to work like this in the Editor environment. 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:46 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
Children