How to handle really large TMs?

This question came up after advising a colleague about how to convert hundreds of Transit projects to Trados:

What is the best way to handle really large TMs (say 500,000+ TUs)?

emoji
Parents
  • I have several TMs with reasonable size of several hundred thousand segments and a few with over 1 million segments. Huge TMs are not really workable well, so what I do is creating project translation memories in each project. This way I can utilize these really large TMs in a sophisticated way. A project TM is small and thus fast and works even over the network, as the complete project including the project TM is located on NAS. The huge mother TM is stored locally on a SSD M2 HDD of my PC and still searchable for concordance. This method allows to combine huge TMs with reasonable working speed.

For the future I do not feed the biggest TMs anymore.

emoji
  • I have several TMs with reasonable size of several hundred thousand segments and a few with over 1 million segments. Huge TMs are not really workable well, so what I do is creating project translation memories in each project. This way I can utilize these really large TMs in a sophisticated way. A project TM is small and thus fast and works even over the network, as the complete project including the project TM is located on NAS. The huge mother TM is stored locally on a SSD M2 HDD of my PC and still searchable for concordance. This method allows to combine huge TMs with reasonable working speed.

For the future I do not feed the biggest TMs anymore.

emoji
Children
No Data