new user Tr2022

Hi,

just installed TR2022 and I am overall happy. Auto-assembling is very good.

But at least 2 very annoying issues right from the start:

1. a. Default working folders: during setup I was not asked where to I want to have my projects, TM's etc. It defaults to My documents.. and that is not my working folder. A quick look into settings did not help. for sure it MUST be somewhere.

b. Same occurs when finishing a translation, the Finalize has not any options for where I want it saved. For sure I will find it but...

2. BOLD. If the original text has something in bold, In edit the source I cannot change it, and I cannot change my translated word in the translation window, the Ctrl-B and the Bold icon do nothing.

Note: i am a legal translator, I convert PDFs into word and translate them. Sometimes a bold word stays unnoticed but 1. I don't want to save bolded segments per se, and 2. I want to change them as I like... ;)

Editing source and changing bold was the easiest thing in the world in Deja Vu X3...

Changed to a question.
[edited by: Paul at 10:30 AM (GMT 1) on 6 Jul 2022]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi  ,

Default working folders: during setup I was not asked where to I want to have my projects, TM's etc. It defaults to My documents.. and that is not my working folder. A quick look into settings did not help. for sure it MUST be somewhere.

Indeed the default location is My documents. However, you can change it, in the project creation wizard, right in the first step of it:

Trados Studio 'Create a New Project' window with 'Location Path' field highlighted, showing default path in 'My Documents' and a 'Browse' button to change it.

or you can set up a project template - this will ensure all projects will "inherit" the same location and resources from the template - which is what most users do:

https://docs.rws.com/813470/332490/trados-studio-2021-sr2/editing-project-templates 

If you use "translate single document" option, the project location will be based on source location - 

b. Same occurs when finishing a translation, the Finalize has not any options for where I want it saved.

If you use the "Save target as" option to save a file, you can choose the target in the window box that opens up:

Trados Studio 'Save Target As' dialog box with 'Save in' dropdown menu highlighted, currently set to 'ja-JP' with an option to select a different location.

Usually, the target goes in the target folders of the project location.

You can also change the location from File(top left corner)>Options>Language pairs>all language pairs (or the specific combination)>Batch processing: Export files.

Trados Studio 'Options' menu with 'Export Files' section highlighted, showing the default export path in 'My Documents' and a field to change it.

BOLD. If the original text has something in bold, In edit the source I cannot change it, and I cannot change my translated word in the translation window, the Ctrl-B and the Bold icon do nothing.

For this, you can change it - if at all possible, this depending heavily on the source text formatting- in File  (top left corner)>Options>Editor: Formatting display style. Select "Show all tags but do not show formatting" or adapt the selection to your needs. Confirm with OK.

Trados Studio 'Options' menu under 'Editor' settings with 'Formatting display style' dropdown menu highlighted, set to 'Show all tags but do not show formatting'.

I hope this helps!

Oana

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:18 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Hi  ,

Default working folders: during setup I was not asked where to I want to have my projects, TM's etc. It defaults to My documents.. and that is not my working folder. A quick look into settings did not help. for sure it MUST be somewhere.

Indeed the default location is My documents. However, you can change it, in the project creation wizard, right in the first step of it:

Trados Studio 'Create a New Project' window with 'Location Path' field highlighted, showing default path in 'My Documents' and a 'Browse' button to change it.

or you can set up a project template - this will ensure all projects will "inherit" the same location and resources from the template - which is what most users do:

https://docs.rws.com/813470/332490/trados-studio-2021-sr2/editing-project-templates 

If you use "translate single document" option, the project location will be based on source location - 

b. Same occurs when finishing a translation, the Finalize has not any options for where I want it saved.

If you use the "Save target as" option to save a file, you can choose the target in the window box that opens up:

Trados Studio 'Save Target As' dialog box with 'Save in' dropdown menu highlighted, currently set to 'ja-JP' with an option to select a different location.

Usually, the target goes in the target folders of the project location.

You can also change the location from File(top left corner)>Options>Language pairs>all language pairs (or the specific combination)>Batch processing: Export files.

Trados Studio 'Options' menu with 'Export Files' section highlighted, showing the default export path in 'My Documents' and a field to change it.

BOLD. If the original text has something in bold, In edit the source I cannot change it, and I cannot change my translated word in the translation window, the Ctrl-B and the Bold icon do nothing.

For this, you can change it - if at all possible, this depending heavily on the source text formatting- in File  (top left corner)>Options>Editor: Formatting display style. Select "Show all tags but do not show formatting" or adapt the selection to your needs. Confirm with OK.

Trados Studio 'Options' menu under 'Editor' settings with 'Formatting display style' dropdown menu highlighted, set to 'Show all tags but do not show formatting'.

I hope this helps!

Oana

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:18 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
Children