How to create a project or a TM without selecting a regional language variety (just German to English, not de(DE) to en(US))?

Hello. A client has requested that I work on her MemoQ view file in my CAT tool (which in my case is Trados) and export the final file with the language settings "German to English" as the source and target languages. She explained that if I use regional varieties, such as German(Germany) to English(US), the file will be hard for her to work with based on her language settings in MemoQ.

Could you please tell me if I can use Trados Studio to do this translation without selecting regional language varieties? Thank you.

Abby Huber

emoji
Parents
  • If she provides you with a memoQ xlf file, which she probably will, then Studio will not change the language codes.  So whatever she sends you will be able to translate it and when you save the target file the language codes will be as they were before she sent it.

Trados Studio always requires a specific language so you will have to choose something when you work on it.  But it really shouldn't have any impact on here.  To check it I created a View in memoQ like this:

Screenshot of an XML code snippet with language codes, showing source-language as 'en' and target-language as 'fr'.

So you can see it's only English to French... no sub-languages.  I open in Studio and it defaults to this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio language selection dropdowns, with 'English (United States)' as source and 'French (France)' as target.

I can change to use something I prefer... but when I save the target after translating I get this:

Screenshot of an XML code snippet with a warning highlighted, indicating an encoding issue with 'UTF-8' in the document header.

So it doesn't matter what languages you use... Studio will respect the languages in the target file.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:16 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • If she provides you with a memoQ xlf file, which she probably will, then Studio will not change the language codes.  So whatever she sends you will be able to translate it and when you save the target file the language codes will be as they were before she sent it.

Trados Studio always requires a specific language so you will have to choose something when you work on it.  But it really shouldn't have any impact on here.  To check it I created a View in memoQ like this:

Screenshot of an XML code snippet with language codes, showing source-language as 'en' and target-language as 'fr'.

So you can see it's only English to French... no sub-languages.  I open in Studio and it defaults to this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio language selection dropdowns, with 'English (United States)' as source and 'French (France)' as target.

I can change to use something I prefer... but when I save the target after translating I get this:

Screenshot of an XML code snippet with a warning highlighted, indicating an encoding issue with 'UTF-8' in the document header.

So it doesn't matter what languages you use... Studio will respect the languages in the target file.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:16 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
Children
No Data