Inability to copy Trados project folders

Hello All,

Fall greetings!

I just bought a beautiful new HP Spectre 360 with Windows 11, and installed Trados Studio 2021.

I have been using Trados Studio since it came out, but now I am experiencing  big problems that I have never seen before.

We have lost 2 hours of work twice, and we are afraid we could lose even more work.

My business is growing and, I was considering upgrading to Trados Professional, but this kind system instability is scary, and makes me think I have to abadon all the investments I and my team members have made in Trados knowledge and go over to one of Trados' competitors which are know for their more reliable system architecture.

So, I create a project named 4941 in this folder:
C:\....\4941\Studio Main\
It creates the project folder:
C:\....\4941\Studio Main\4941
the usual subfolders
\en-US
\ru-RU
\Reports
\Tm
and the project file 4941.sdlproj

In my workflow, I create a copy of the project in another folder for the editing stage (I will share my edits later with the translator):
C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\
All the sub-folders are the same.

Now it gets WEIRD.

I add the project in C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\4941
to the Project list in Trados (no other projects open in Trados)

I work in this project, so the .sdlxliff file should be here:
 C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\4941\en-US\
but all the changes are NOT saved in this project.
They are saved in the original project here:
C:\....\4941\Studio Main\4941\en-US

You can see the result in the screenshot:

Two file explorer windows open showing Trados Studio project folders. Left window has project files in 'Studio Main' folder, right window in 'Editor Tom' folder.

So when I finalize the project in the main project folder, my edits are also all accepted in  C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\4941\en-US\, and I cannot share them with my translator.

I made a mistake and did not accept changes before finalizing.  All my changes were lost AND the TM was not updated.

This has caused **Major** problems It appeared all my edits were not just accepted but LOST when I tried to open the file and then finalized in the main project folder.

Two hours of work was lost a few weeks ago and again last week.

In other cases, changes have been lost, and the files have had all content erased (good thing we had a solid TM that we could use to re-populate the file).

My translator partners are having files and projects stored in obcsure /temp directories they did not choose (which trying to just open a project without opening Trados first)

AND today, when a partner tried to back up his project folder, he got this message about the inability to copy the .sdlproj file:

File explorer window showing Trados Studio project subfolders with a warning message about inability to copy the .sdlproj file.

One other strange thing is that Trados now saves the autosave files here:
C:\Users\tfenn\OneDrive\Documents\Studio 2021\AutoSave
OneDrive warned me every 5 minutes when the temp .sdlxliff file is deleted (Until I turned off the warning)

I have added all the possible folders to my Norton Scan Exceptions list:
C:\Users....\AppData\Local\Temp\SDLTempFileRegen
C:\Users....\AppData\Local\SDL
C:\Users....\AppData\Roaming\SDL
C:\Users....\OneDrive\Documents\SDL
C:\Users....\OneDrive\Documents\Studio 2021
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL
C:\Program Data\SDL

I never had this problem before on my old Studio 2021 installation on Windows 10.

What gives? Any ideas?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 8:11 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
  • Hi ,

So when I finalize the project in the main project folder, my edits are also all accepted in  C:\....\4941\Editor Tom\Studio Working Folder\4941\en-US\

This is compatible with opening the 2nd project in Trados Studio without having first closed the 1st one. The reason is that internally each project has an exclusive ID. Copying the folder structure of a project, keeps the same ID in the 2nd project, so double-clicking the copy project actually won't opening it in Trados Studio, but keeps the first one because it's already in your project list.

and I cannot share them with my translator.

Why not?

I made a mistake and did not accept changes before finalizing.  All my changes were lost AND the TM was not updated.

Not sure if you mean that you didn't accept track changes. Anyway, if you saved your work (CTL+S), the 1st project should have your changes. Could you please check it? In your screen-shot, time stamp of the 1st XLIFF is newer than the 2nd one, and this is compatible with my theory. And if you confirmed each segment (and the appropriate Studio Options settings are in place), your edits should be in the TM. I'm wondering why they are not… Do you have this check box ticked?

Trados Studio options menu with 'Update translation memory' checkbox ticked under 'After Confirming Segments Manually' section.

Last, working on a shared folder (Dropbox in your case) is asking for problems, although in this case I don't think it's the culprit of your issues (well, maybe the one of your partner).

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 8:11 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]