Error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi,

I am getting an error message (Object reference not set to an instance of an object) when trying to generate a target translation in Studio 2014. 

I have already tried some of the solutions mentioned in the forum but none worked... 

Any ideas?

Here is what I have tried already…..

If Studio starts, but shows the error message Object reference not set to an instance of an object when you switch between different dialogs and views:

1. Open Studio.
    2. Activate the view where the error occurs (for example the Editor view).
    3. Click View > Reset Window Layout.
    4. Click OK to confirm resetting the window layout.

If the error message still appears after following the steps above, follow the instructions under Solution 2 below.

Solution 2

1. Rename the setting files and run a repair installation

1. Close all SDL applications.

2. Go to the following folder: 
            • SDL Trados Studio 2011
              • Windows XPC:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
              • Windows Vista/7/8C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
            • SDL Trados Studio 2014
              • Windows XPC:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0
              • Windows Vista/7/8C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0

3. Rename the following XML files (for example, add an underscore before/after the filename):
            • BaseSettings.xml
            • Plugincache.xml
            • UserSettings.xml

NOTE: If you do not find this folder, make sure that these files are not hidden. See KB article #3330: Show hidden files and folders on Windows operating systems.

1. Run a repair installation

1. Open the Control Panel:
          • Windows Vista/7Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
          • Windows 8: Right-click on the screen at bottom-left corner and choose Control Panel > Uninstall a Program.

2. Click to highlight the damaged SDL Trados Studio version and click Repair.

3. Restart Studio.

• Former Member
        0 Former Member
        Everything in this thread has nothing to do with this bug. This is a programming error message, intended for programmers, not for users. The developers should take care of it and I believe it is an exercise in futility following instructions like "reset", "reinstall", "reboot". Again, this is a programming error (a bug). Nothing else.
      • Ozzie,

You're not the first person to have said this as you say, and you certainly won't be the last.

Of course it is a bug but just saying that and nothing else doesn't solve anyone's problems. It isn't futile to repair or reset as it does sometimes smooth things out so the program works again.

It's late, I'm falling asleep, so I will come back to this...

All the best, Ali
      • Former Member
        0 Former Member in reply to Alison Field

A bug is a programming error, meaning, a programmer has to go back to the source code (and sometimes to the drawing board) and improve and/or fix the algorithm triggering the error. This is called debugging. There is nothing the end user can do about a bug. That is not her department, she can't possibly fix a bug. Wikipedia defines it like this: "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways." This is, by the way, a fascinating discipline (and art) and at the same time a source of big headaches for perplexed, baffled, puzzled developers. I've been there, myself. en.wikipedia.org/.../Software_bug. Regards,

• Hi Ozzie,

I do know that, but we can't reprogram an end user's software when they are in trouble. We can only find a workaround, flush out the carburetor rather than changing the jets. Not a good analogy because changing the jets would be best if a mechanic already had the car bonnet/hood open but end customers can't reprogram their software.

This bug can occur in other software, not just Studio, so for example it could be a Windows error that Studio can't diagnose. So I guess what you are saying, actually, is that the message itself should be more explicit? Or you're saying the programmers should not have made the mistake in the first placed - this is impossible, even if the programmer makes NO mistakes as such, interaction with other software in different setups can trigger events that are unexpected. Or expected but not possible to prevent. The developers/programmers obviously must be trying to deal with as many of the bugs as possible but we the end users have to help each other cope with the results in the meantime.

If the error is only generated by something occurring outside of Studio, a Windows Update for example, then a Windows Repair might smooth that out. Like servicing a car, it is actually a good idea to run a Windows repair on complex software periodically. It's useful to repair Microsoft Office occasionally, too. 

It isn't always 'an exercise in futility following instructions like "reset", "reinstall", "reboot"' because sometimes it works. It does feel a bit silly repeating the list of possible solutions but they are just that, possible solutions. Quite often new users would even find those steps hard to perform so how does it help them to just tell them that 'Again, this is a programming error (a bug). Nothing else'? 

I send people two links, the first SDLs own help list of the above solutions whose the final step is to reinstall then if that does not work to contact SDL free licensing and installation help, the second a clearer explanation and link to that last step. All the first options might solve the problem thus save wasting SDL help's time but if not, then someone at SDL can look at the setup remotely and find a way to help. Or I send a shorter, clearer version if I think the help page will be too difficult for the user.

I don't do this to gain points, I do it if I think that nobody else with better knowledge than mine is available on the Community. It's a starting point and better than leaving a user alone not knowing what to do. I'm sorry if you think my actions are futile but I don't mind that, I understand.

Very best wishes,

Ali [:D]

• Well, Alison, you're sustained input of yesterday was highly appreciated by me! Thanks again.
        Rutger
      • Unknown said:
        Unfortunately, it did not fix my problem, which is to make the MyMemory plugin work; it throws the error message when I try to use it...

The MyMemory error is probably out of your control and ours.  They had a fire in the service tunnel to their data centre damaging cables which their main connectivity provider is working hard to restore.  Once they sort that out the MyMemory plugin will just work.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
        Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Unknown said:
        This is a programming error message, intended for programmers, not for users. The developers should take care of it and I believe it is an exercise in futility following instructions like "reset", "reinstall", "reboot".

I don't agree with you at all... at least not 100%.  Yes, the details in the error stack are intended for developers, but there is often information in the error stack which can be read to see where the likely source of the problem is.  In this case, as I saw a stack for the same problem from another users, the words MyMemory are clearly written throughout the message and this is at least a good indication that the course of action would be to contact the MyMemory team and ask them about the issue.

In addition to that the error messages do have a link to the a couple of resources that can be searched automatically and sometimes this can also be helpful because the solution you get to can be helpful.

It's not always like that and sometimes the message have nothing helpful in there at all, sometimes nothing useful for a developer either.  But checking them is not an exercise in futility.

Certainly I welcome the input from  who seems to be available to help anyone all the time and her experience means her help is almost always on the nail!

Thank you Ali!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
        Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Former Member
        0 Former Member in reply to Paul
        My contention is twofold: a) a message like “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” is not supposed to show in a commercial software while the end user is using it (I am not referring to anything else), and b) this type of error message is addressed to the developers (read, programmers, coders, testers, etc.) and therefore the end user should not be trying to "fix" it. It is a bug. According to the widely known developer community StackOverflow "this is a very common error and can occur because of all kinds of reasons. The root cause really depends on the specific scenario that you've encountered." stackoverflow.com/.../what-does-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object-mean
      • Hi again, 

Unknown said:
        My contention is twofold: a) a message like “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” is not supposed to show in a commercial software while the end user is using it

Of course it shouldn't, in an ideal world...

Unknown said:
        b) this type of error message is addressed to the developers (read, programmers, coders, testers, etc.). It is a bug.

Indeed... well, actually it is indicative of a whole range of possible bugs as StackOverflow say.

Unknown said:
        According to the widely known developer community StackOverflow "this is a very common error and can occur because of all kinds of reasons. The root cause really depends on the specific scenario that you've encountered." stackoverflow.com/.../what-does-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object-mean

and yes again, of course this including all the other points made about this message on StackOverflow's site represent a developer's correct factual analysis of this broadly reaching error message.

Yes, of course the facts you are presenting are, indeed, facts.

However, to post in someone else's thread, without kindly offering them a solution, and say "the end user should not be trying to "fix" it" isn't helpful. This view should be expressed in a developers' arena NOT in a thread where someone has asked for help and some of us are trying to use our experience of the software to solve their problem with it.

The person who posts a thread asking for help is not trying to play at developing, they are trying to work. Their work is as important as anyone else's. It would not help if we replied "Dear User, very sorry but that error is destined to developers only so we can do nothing to help."

Therefore, we may not be - indeed are not always - addressing the base issue, but those of us who DO want to help can't just do nothing if we might be able to solve the symptom EVEN IF we cannot solve the cause.

It would be easier for those of us who do want to help to work our way through the various steps towards (even accidentally) solving an issue, without others objecting to our efforts. Sometimes we succeed.

I respect your viewpoint, Ozzie, and you probably didn't mean your comment to sound critical of me or anyone who tried to help - and it didn't worry me - but I'm just aware that when I was a 'rookie' asking for help, a comment like yours would have put me off asking for help again. 

Have an excellent, productive week!

All the very best,

Ali :D