Disappeared feature? Straight apostrophes and straight quotation marks not corrected anymore to curved

Hi,

As a Trados Studio superuser in my organization, I saw several people complain about a feature that disappeared between Trados Studio 2021 and 2022:

Before the 2022 version, when people copy-pasted text with straight apostrophes (') in them, they just had to go at the end of the segment and type a space for all of them to be corrected to curved apostophes (’).

Similar thing with quotation marks: for English to French translators, after a copy-paste containing pairs of straight quotation marks ("..."), a space at the end of the segment would convert them as required to French quotation marks with appropriate non-break spaces (« ... »).

That was a very handy feature for several of my colleagues, and they wonder WHY it disappeared, WHETHER they could get it back and, if so, HOW.

Would you happen to have answers for us,  ?

Thank you! 

[Minor correction]
[edited by: Louis LaBonté at 10:31 PM (GMT 0) on 2 Feb 2023]
emoji
  •  

I have to confess I've never been aware of this behaviour at all out of the box.  So I tested it in 2019, 2021 and 2022 with exactly the same result in each one:

Perhaps you can check how this was being used before and whether the users might have been working with a script of some sort.  If they use AutoHotkey for example there might have been a line like tis:

#IfWinActive SDL Trados Studio

Which might not work any more since you'd probably need this for 2022:

#IfWinActive Trados Studio

Worth checking anyway.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • I can assure you none of the users who complained used AutoHotkey, since we can not install any additional software on our government computers, unless specifically authorized (and I know for a fact that AutoHotkey would not be approved by the IT Security team).

In your tests, did you try English to French as a language combination?

Here's something that might be worth testing in that language combination, in Trados Studio 2021, then in 2022:

[EN to be used as source]
              There's one apostrophe case here, and "this is in quotation marks."

[FR for copy-pasting in the target, to be followed by the typing of a regular space at the end of the target segment]
              Il y a un cas d'apostrophe ici, et "ceci est entre guillemets".

In the French target segment, after copy-pasting AND manually adding a regular space at the end of the segment, the end result should have been this in Trados Studio 2021:
              Il y a un cas d’apostrophe ici, et « ceci est entre guillemets ». 

Thanks in advance for the test! :-) 

emoji
  • In addition to what Louis suggests here, maybe just as an added layer, can you set the Spelling settings to MS Word Spell Checker?

I don't know if it's a problem in other languages, but is certainly is in the EN-CA to FR-CA combo for us.

This is not happening merely on a few workstations, it is throughout.

I've tried copying and pasting the apostrophe's from different places into the Autocorrect boxes, AASCII codes, to no avail. If done directly in Word docs, the replacements work as they should. They also worked fine for us in Studio 2019 and 2021.

Thanks for your help.

emoji
  • UPDATE:
    One of my colleagues still has Trados Studio 2021, so we tested it with her and recorded the video:

As you can see (or at least I hope so), the “Active Spell Checker” is MS Word Spell Checker, she had the same option as yours enabled, and the automatic conversion worked exactly as others had described.

The user has no other software installed than what we all have by default. The only difference with users for which the replacement does not work anymore is that the latter now have Trados Studio 2022.

Any idea what else we could check to see if there's any way to restore that handy fonction in 2022?

emoji
  •  

In your tests, did you try English to French as a language combination?

They were all English to French.

I will have a go as you suggested but your tests don't look any different to what I already did.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • English (Canada) to French (Canada)? Just to be sure to replicate our organizational settings. We are reporting it because it is wideranging, and it never was a problem with previous versions within the same work environment. Thanks

emoji
  •   

ok - I switched to a French UI, created an en(US) - fr(CA) project and used these settings in Trados Studio 2021:

Trados Studio 2021 options menu with French (Canada) language settings showing automatic correction options such as correcting double capitals and accidental caps lock usage.

Trados Studio 2021 options menu with active spell checker set to MS Word and options to verify spelling as you type and ignore certain segment types.

And this is what I get:

Trados Studio 2021 translation results showing text with apostrophes and quotation marks in English and their corresponding French translation with typographic quotation marks.

is this a feature you use and could reproduce in older versions?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 9:51 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Just to make sure: I don't see why it would make a difference, but is it the same if you try with en(CA) - fr(CA)?

emoji
  •   

but is it the same if you try with en(CA) - fr(CA)?

The same and almost worse... sometimes it doesn't autocorrect at all.  I'll ask the support team to look at this because so far I cannot find anyone else who can reproduce it. I like the feature... didn't even know it existed!  So it would be good to figure out why this is working for you and not anyone else I've asked so far.

It might be worth finding a French operating system... not sure yet.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • It's a great feature. Correct's it if somehow you type a straight one and, best of all, we could copy whole paragraphs off websites, reports and other docs that used stright apostrophe's, paste them in Studio, tap on spacebar and magic happened. Replaced everything correctly.

emoji