Trados Studio 2022 Freelance after update to 17.1.8.17828 Language Weaver error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Hi team,

I just installed the update in Studio 2022 to version 17.1.8.17828 and have trouble using Language Weaver - what does this error message mean?

Error dialog box in Trados Studio 2022 showing 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' with details of the error source from Language Weaver and a stack trace of system functions.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 12:48 PM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
  •  

Click on this to load the file... don't copy the path in:

Trados Studio screenshot showing a FileURL input field with a file path 'C:UsersdedouDownloadsdlerror-2023' and an 'Upload' button with a red arrow pointing towards it.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
  • <SDLErrorDetails time="07/11/2023 18:39:38">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>LanguageWeaver</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.Community.MTCloud.Provider.Studio.TranslationProvider.SdlMTCloudTranslationProvider.get_Name()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl.VerifyLanguages(ProjectCascadeEntryItem entry)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl.pluginContextMenuStripItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.1.8.17828</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Pro</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1031</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>THINKYPINKY\dedou</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>THINKYPINKY</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16511244 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
  • That must be the most stealth upload button I've ever seen Laughing Thanks Paul - the upload of the error stack was successful at least

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

I still have the problem wiht the Object reference error message in relation to Language Weaver. This time, new single file, it worked when I started the translation the other day, now that I re-opened the file I get the message that Language Weaver cannot be opened. What else can I do beyond what we have tried already?
    Thank you, Dani

<SDLErrorDetails time="18/11/2023 17:19:46">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>LanguageWeaver</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.Community.MTCloud.Provider.Studio.TranslationProvider.SdlMTCloudTranslationProvider.get_Name()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl.VerifyLanguages(ProjectCascadeEntryItem entry)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl.pluginContextMenuStripItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.1.8.17828</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Pro</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1031</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>THINKYPINKY\dedou</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>THINKYPINKY</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16511244 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
  •   

The developer has a suspicion from the error stack that it could be related to the name of the model you are using?  So if you changed the model today, compared to when it worked without a problem, then this may be the reason. Can you tell me what the name is of the model you're using?

The image shows the Translation Memory Results Window of the Trados Studio editing UI. The English source segment is "The Voice of Reason '1'", and an arrow points downwards to a highlighted section indicating the use of the "Language Weaver - GenericQE" machine translation engine and model. On the right side, the German translation provided by this engine is displayed as "Die Stimme der Vernunft '1'", with the abbreviation "NMT" (Neural Machine Translation) placed above it. This layout is characteristic of Trados Studio, where translation suggestions from various sources, including machine translation engines like Language Weaver, are displayed for the translator's reference and use.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi Paul Filkin,
    I did not make any changes that I am aware of - this is the model I use. The only difference I can imagine is the spelling setting, but it gives me the same error message in Spelling US or UK.
    Screenshot of Trados Studio Language Weaver translation provider interface showing a project language pair from German (Germany) to English (United Kingdom), with a selected model 'ger-eng Generic' and spelling set to 'US'. No dictionary available is indicated.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text