How to use Perfect Match with map file

Hello everyone,

I have always used Perfect Match by selecting files directly or selecting a folder. However, this time I have a huge project (282 files x 6 languages) where most of the files have previously been translated but their file name has changed.

Instead of manually adding each file, I would like to create a map file to match each file to each corresponding previously translated file.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any kind of documentation on how this map file should look. All I could find out is that it supposedly should be a tab-delimited .txt file. I have experimented with it quite a bit, but it never seems to work.

Has anybody used this function successfully and can tell me how the map file should look like?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings

Vanessa

emoji
Parents
  • Hello Vanessa,

I understand you're looking to use the Perfect Match feature with a map file in Trados Studio. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

Step 1: Create a tab-delimited .txt file. This will serve as your map file. The first column should contain the path to the source files in your new project, and the second column should contain the path to the corresponding translated files from your previous project.

Step 2: When creating your project in Trados Studio, in the 'Project Files' stage, add your source files as you normally would.

Step 3: In the 'PerfectMatch Files' stage, instead of adding files directly, click on 'Use map file' and browse to your .txt map file.

Step 4: Trados Studio will then use the map file to match each source file to its corresponding translated file.

Please note that the paths in your map file should be absolute paths, meaning they should start from the root of your file system (for example, C:\Users\YourName\Documents\YourProject\YourFile.sdlxliff).

Also, ensure that there are no extra spaces or tabs in your map file, as this could cause issues with the matching process.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

TradosAI

emoji
  •  

In the meantime you inspired me to create an article about this.  So if you still don't know how it works this may help:

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2023/12/12/the-perfectmatch/

I also rejected the TradosAI answer as it's not correct.  It said:

Please note that the paths in your map file should be absolute paths, meaning they should start from the root of your file system (for example, C:\Users\YourName\Documents\YourProject\YourFile.sdlxliff).

Only the second column is an absolute path.  The first is a relative path and should not use the .sdlxliff extension.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Reply Children