Foreseeable problems with Studio 2022 folder automatically created in synchronized OneDrive Documents folder

Our organization will soon impose OneDrive to all translators (several hundred). The move will mean that all the content from the Windows known folders (Documents/Desktop/Pictures) will be moved to their OneDrive and be synchronized all time. We will not be able to unsync subfolders within the OneDrive Documents folder, reset the C/Users/Documents folder as the default location nor cut the link between our computer and OneDrive (solution that we had mostly recommended until now).

Since the OneDrive Documents folder will become the default location, when we install Studio 2022, the Studio 2022 folder is automatically created in OneDrive/Documents. We have already seen several cases and we have been able to:

1. move the Studio 2022 back to C/Users/Documents so that all the TMs, termbases and projects, along with other Studio-related files, are still stored in the C drive;
  2. edit the Sdl.ProjectApi file to change the LocalDataFolder to the C and make sure that the projects.xml file is created in C/User/Documents/Studio 2022/Projects (sometimes unfortunately it didn´t work and the projects.xml file is recreated in OneDrive);
  3. edit the Default project template to make the C the default location for projects. 

Even if we cut the Studio 2022 folder with all its contents from OneDrive and paste it to the C (and make sure there is no copy left of that Studio 2022 folder in our online OneDrive), a new Studio 2022 is automatically recreated in OneDrive with several files/folders:

1. the Plugin.bookmarks and Plugin.symbols xml files;
  2. the Project Templates folder with at least the Default project template if not all project templates that come with Studio;
  3. a Trados folder where new termbases are created by default (we only have access to the Studio Multiterm interface, not the desktop Multiterm so we can´t choose the location of where termbases are created);
  4. the Autosave folder.

We know that having Studio files in OneDrive (or at least certain files) is problematic and should be avoided. All our TMs, termbases, custom project templates and projects (among other files) will be in our C/User/Documents/Studio 2022 folder. 
So my question is, how problematic can be to have those other files I mentioned before in our synchronized OneDrive, especially the Plugin xml files, the default Project Templates that come with Studio (that we don´t use), and the Projects.xml file (when we don´t succeed in recreating in the C drive) and the Autosave folder?
Is there something that can be done so that when we install Studio, the Studio 2022 folder is created in, for example,  C/Users instead of C/Users/Documents? 
Is there something that can be done so that the Studio 2022 folder is not recreated in OneDrive once we have moved it from there to the C drive?
The folder I foresee more problems with is the Autosave folder since .xliff back-up files are often automatically created and deleted in that folder and every time it happens it syncs. Our Autosave is currently set at 5 min.
I have not been able to find any info on how to change the location of the Autosave folder. Is it possible to tell Studio to create that folder in a different location if the Studio 2022 folder was created by default in OneDrive?
Thank you very much for any info you can provide me with on how to best work with Studio when its main folder was automatically created in OneDrive.  

emoji
Parents
  •  

So my question is, how problematic can be to have those other files I mentioned before in our synchronized OneDrive, especially the Plugin xml files, the default Project Templates that come with Studio (that we don´t use), and the Projects.xml file (when we don´t succeed in recreating in the C drive) and the Autosave folder?

Problematic: https://multifarious.filkin.com/2023/08/20/working-under-a-cloud/

Since writing that I have had first-hand experience with this now as I purchased my own Win machine (has a Linux before this) for my own use.  Microsoft takes over everything on a new computer and it's a job to prevent it!  But in the end I managed to exclude everything by making sure folders on OneDrive were always available locally, and in the cloud.  I only have Windows Home Edition and couldn't do this, but I think this may be possible on a Professional version to exclude specific folders from syncing to OneDrive by modifying the ClientPolicy.ini file.  Look for a line that starts with FilenameExclusionList.  This line may already have some default exclusions set by OneDrive and you ca add to it.  I did try this but it was ineffective, and I think because I use the Home Edition.  Worth looking at anyway.

You may also be able to use Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to manage this.  I could not... again because I have Windows Home Edition.

Is there something that can be done so that when we install Studio, the Studio 2022 folder is created in, for example,  C/Users instead of C/Users/Documents? 

No, but I also would like to see this.  I think it may be something for the future and worth raising an idea for it if there isn't one already.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Thank you Paul for taking the time to reply. I had already read your article. Unfortunately, in our organization we don´t have any control on how OneDrive is imposed on us and we can´t modify any Windows-related file (clientpolicy.ini, gpedit.msc, exclusion files, etc). Since the automatic back-up of the three known Windows folders will be activated by default and we can´t turn it off, we cannot uncheck either for sync any subfolders within those 3 known folders. So the Studio 2022 under OneDrive (without the memories/termbases/projects) will always be available locally and in the cloud since it´s synching continuously.  I guess we´ll just have to test our current setup and see how it goes. 
    Thanks again for your time. 

emoji
  • @Beatriz de Vega - how did you manage to overcome this issue? We have just moved to M365 and this is the problem I am now facing.

emoji
Reply Children