Where do I enter the API key for AI Professional?

I feel like this must be a stupid question, but I still couldn't answer it by googling and searching the community ...

Inspired by Patrick Hartnett's blog post (https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/b/weblog/posts/unleash-the-power-of-translation-with-ai-professional-plugin-for-trados-studio?CommentId=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx), I'm trying to test the AI Professional plugin.

I've specifically for this taken out a ChatGPT subscription in the place where the highlighted link took me. This was sucessful, my credit card was charged and I copied an API key from my account. But now what? Where do I enter it? That, unfortunately wasn't covered in Patrick's video and it is not obvious, either.

The OK button in the Settings window below is greyed out.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Trados Studio settings window showing Connections and Prompts sections with a selected connection named 'gpt-3.5-turbo' and a default prompt. The OK button is greyed out at the bottom.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 11:54 AM (GMT 0) on 23 Feb 2024]
emoji
  •  

Try editing the selected connection.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Great big facepalm! I knew it was a stupid question! Slight smile As always, thanks a lot, !

emoji
  •  

There are no stupid questions... if you looked everywhere and still don't know it's stupid not to ask!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Dear Paul, you may say there are no stupid questions...but....you never know...

Now that we have this AI Professional plugin, the question is the "suscription". Or API. Or whatever. I am afraid to use these words since it seems there is so much difference between them....

We tested OpenAI in December, free account , no counting of tokens, prompts, requests.... However, as you may know, it had lots of inconveniences, the text did not go directly to the segment, etc., etc. We ruled it out.

Now there is this AI Professional "from both Azure and OpenAI's language models". We want to test it, the app says "Create free acount". I enter all the free resources and see this: 

Screenshot showing a section titled 'Aprovecha estos productos gratuitos' with a list of free products including 'Traductor de Azure AI' with a description in Spanish.

So is it , what we are supposed to connect to? The IT people in the company say: "No, this is Microsoft´s translator. Azure Open AI can be fine-tuned to the company´s needs and is smth different". And that we have like to create a paid account on the cloud.  also says 

my credit card was charged

So , I am completely lost. I asked the IT people about Copilot. According to them, this is another product (not the Traductor Azure AI).

So what is Copilot then? Azure IS a Microsoft´s product, however Traductor de Azure AI is NOT AZURE.... Neither Copilot. Where do I have to create an account? There is no free trial version, isn´t it? How can I calculate HOW MUCH AI will cost us and see if it´s worth. ....And then there are these Tires, aren´t there? S0, S1..? Completely lost...is there any easy explanation to that? Like a very basic tutorial?

Sorry...has been a long day....

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:21 PM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •   

the question is the "suscription". Or API. Or whatever. I am afraid to use these words since it seems there is so much difference between them

Let's just clear that up right now.

Subscription: this refers to the arrangement where the account holder pays a recurring fee to access OpenAI's services.

API: this stands for Application Programming Interface.  It is a set of protocols, routines, and tools for building software and applications.  Specifically, OpenAI provides API access to its models, like GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer), allowing developers to integrate these models into their own applications, websites, or services. 

API Key: I added this since this is most likely what you meant.  An API Key is a unique identifier used to authenticate a user, program, or device to the OpenAI servers, allowing access to OpenAI's services and APIs, such as GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) models.  This key acts as a secret token that is passed along with API requests by the Trados Studio plugin to ensure that the requester has been granted permission to use the API and to monitor usage for billing and rate limiting purposes.  It's crucial to keep this key secure, as anyone with access to it can use the OpenAI services associated with your account, potentially incurring charges or accessing private data.  So don't ever post that in here!

We tested OpenAI in December, free account , no counting of tokens, prompts, requests

Incorrect in fact.  All of this was there before as well.  We have just tried to help users understand more about how this works this time, hence the additional explanations.  I think many users just want a plug and play, but it's not like tat wen you start to use the new enhanced services available by companies such as OpenAI, Microsoft, Google etc.  Things are not yet so simple and as a user of these services you will have to thoroughly read their documentation and try to understand it for yourself before using it.  There is only so much we can do to try and help, and ultimately we are just providing you with a way to access those services in Trados Studio and spend your money for the value you perceive it will bring.

Now there is this AI Professional "from both Azure and OpenAI's language models". We want to test it, the app says "Create free acount". I enter all the free resources and see this:  So is it , what we are supposed to connect to? The IT people in the company say: "No, this is Microsoft´s translator. Azure Open AI can be fine-tuned to the company´s needs and is smth different"

This is a perfect example of what I was just saying.  OpenAI is available in (at least...) two flavours:

OpenAI: this is an independent research organization that focuses on developing artificial intelligence in a safe and beneficial way.  It creates AI technologies and conducts research in the field, aiming to promote and develop friendly AI for the betterment of humanity. OpenAI is best known for its advanced AI models like GPT and DALL-E.

Azure OpenAI:  this is a collaboration between Microsoft and OpenAI that integrates OpenAI's advanced AI models with Microsoft's Azure cloud services.  This allows users to implement and scale AI solutions using OpenAI's technologies within the robust, enterprise-grade environment of Azure.  It also means you can use these Azure services to fine tune your AI models. 

• Fine-tuning: this is the process of taking a pre-trained machine learning model, such as the ones provided by OpenAI through Azure, and further training it on your specific dataset.  This customises the model's responses to better align with the nuances, terminology, and preferences of your own use cases. It adapts the model to understand and generate text that is more relevant to your domain or business needs.

So , I am completely lost. I asked the IT people about Copilot. According to them, this is another product (not the Traductor Azure AI).

So what is Copilot then? Azure IS a Microsoft´s product, however Traductor de Azure AI is NOT AZURE.... Neither Copilot.

"Traductor de Azure AI"... this refers to Microsoft's Azure Cognitive Services offering known as "Translator," which is a cloud-based, automatic translation service powered by artificial intelligence (AI).  It is not the same as Azure OpenAI.

CoPilot? Well, this really depends on which CoPilot you are referring to?  There are so many because everyone is using the same name!  But essentially an AI Copilot is a virtual helper offering instant guidance to boost your work, an intelligent program aimed at enhancing your professional or personal, endeavours.

One example is the Trados CoPilot you may have seen advertised here:

https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/213

"Trados CoPilot: Smart Review"... this is a CoPilot specifically designed to help you with reviewing translations.  It uses the Azure OpenAI capabilities and is only available to users of Trados Enterprise at present.  So we have enhanced the basic OpenAI model that you would have access to in your Azure account for this purpose.

Then we also have plain old "Trados CoPilot" that you can see if you log into Language Cloud.  That one is freely available to all Language Cloud users (every Trados Studio 2022 user for example) and helps to answer questions on how to use the Language Cloud product... it's in the menu here:

Screenshot showing the Trados CoPilot logo in the toolbar of the software interface, with a red arrow pointing to it.

There is no free trial version, isn´t it? How can I calculate HOW MUCH AI will cost us and see if it´s worth. ....And then there are these Tires, aren´t there? S0, S1..? Completely lost...is there any easy explanation to that? Like a very basic tutorial?

I'm afraid there is no easy answer to this.  Every service has its own costs and it's going to be down to you to put the time in to understand it and figure this out based on your needs.  We gave some very basic guidance for the OpenAI provider in AI Professional to understand some of the terms used - https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/239?tab=documentation - but you will have to dig deeper into the comprehensive documentation provided for whichever provider you choose to look at.

I have a lot of empathy with you because the complexity of what we are dealing with now isn't hidden away in the same fashion we have always tried to provide.  You will have to find someone, if it's not you, in your organisation who is prepared, and technical enough, to understand it.  This isn't something we can make simple at the moment and it takes us a good while to understand it all too.  By way of example I have spent hours over the last few days trying to understand how to work with permissions and roles in the Google Cloud Portal just so I could work with one account for one of my teams without giving away permissions for everything.  It's not that I don't trust them because I do... but we get asked all the time how to set up the Google Cloud accounts so we've had to try and understand it more thoroughly to be able to try and help others where we can.  Not really part of our job but some customers don't appreciate that they have to get more technical than they ever wanted to if they want the benefits that these new cloud services can offer.  So now me, and Lydia (mostly Lydia in fact!), are trying to make sure we can improve the documentation we provide to help users get started with these services for translation with custom models... and then pray that Google don't change it all the day after tomorrow!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 5:46 PM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •  

Missed a bit...

And that we have like to create a paid account on the cloud.

This was always required!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Paul, you are so eager to help, as always! No words are enough to express my gratitude for all these explanations!

You are absolutely right, we have no option but to get way more technical than we would like to...very true.

API Key: I added this since this is most likely what you meant. 

Yes, you read my mind. Because to me, an API key is just a password, similar to those used for Trados license activation, for example. And in case of Deepl Translation Provider, this API key is the password used in the plugin developed by the RWS team, isn´t it? This is where the question comes from: API keys are used to "open" plugins...that connect Trados to a paid suscription... you know, what I mean? All passwords are called API keys these days. And maybe they are, to a greater or lesser extent:)

Back to AI Pro plugin:

a) Open AI (chat GPT, free version) worked with the previous plugin. Can it be connected using the AI Pro? Ok, it´s a "basic" resource, cannot be trained. But as a free MT toll it ca be used, as far as I can understand.

b) Azure AI Translator. Without fine-tuning, without terminology-aware option. Can it be connected and used as a MT resource with a free (trial) Azure account?

I keep studying your answer (and reading extra info) , so may send more questions later...Thank you sooooo much, Paul!

emoji
  •  

All passwords are called API keys these days.

No they are not.  An API Key is exactly what I told you.  A password, such as the ones I use to log onto my computer, login to Google in my chrome browser, login to Office 365, login to Amazon to buy things etc. are not API Keys.  They are simply passwords that are used to help identify you to your account somewhere.

a) Open AI (chat GPT, free version) worked with the previous plugin. Can it be connected using the AI Pro? Ok, it´s a "basic" resource, cannot be trained. But as a free MT toll it ca be used, as far as I can understand.

You understand wrong.  Even the old one had limitations using it for free, and to get access to GPT-4 which is the one everyone wants you definitely needed to have added your credit card details.  You should forget everything you think was possible in terms of free AI!  When working with the APIs you must have a paid account.  Nothing is free!  You only have to look at all the posts in these forums from other users who thought the same thing and when they could not make it do what they wanted the solution was always to set up a paid account.

b) Azure AI Translator. Without fine-tuning, without terminology-aware option. Can it be connected and used as a MT resource with a free (trial) Azure account?

Maybe... but only until you have used up the free credit you are given.  Once that's gone you have to pay.  Nothing is free!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  •  

In fact what I said here isn't strictly true!! 

You should forget everything you think was possible in terms of free AI!  When working with the APIs you must have a paid account. 

You could build your own AI LLMs using something like Hugging Face for example and then build your own plugin for Trados Studio.  You'd have to pay for developer resource to do all of that but once you had it using AI would be free... but only as good as the models you built, and as reactive as the platform supporting them etc.

Most likely not really a solution for you, but worth noting before someone corrects me!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  •  

One other thing... you have such an interest in AI I wonder why you have not used it to get answers to some of your questions?  One thing is for sure, ChatGPT is very good, especially with a paid account, at answering questions around the things you are asking about... and a lot more!  You could even use TradosAI for some of your questions.  But good to create a new thread for this instead of posting onto the end of a thread that already has a verified answer.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji