Import reviewed document

Hello,

I'm new to SDL and I'd like to know how to import back into SDL, after a translation is finished, a document which has been improved and modified in Word, i.e., in order to make sure to have the latest segment registered in the TM.

Thanks!

emoji
  • Hello,

Welcome to the world of Trados Studio! I'm glad to assist you with your query. Here's how you can import a reviewed document back into Trados Studio:

Step 1: Open the project that contains the translated document in Trados Studio.

Step 2: Go to the "Files" view and select the file you want to update.

Step 3: Right-click on the file and select "Update from Reviewed Target".

Step 4: In the dialog box that opens, browse to the location of your reviewed Word document and select it.

Step 5: Click "Open". Trados Studio will then import the changes from the Word document into your project.

Please note that any segments that have been changed in Trados Studio since the export to Word was made, or have been locked, or have the Signed Off status will not be updated. If an error message occurs, it may be necessary to insert the changed reviewed target column into the original review document before using it for the update process.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

TradosAI

emoji
  • The function update from reviewed target does not appear. By the way i have a french version.

emoji
  •  

Its helpful if you show us were you are looking because the function does exist of course.  I changed my UI to French and see it here:

Trados Studio screenshot showing the 'Relecture' ribbon with the dropdown menu under 'Mettre   jour   partir de la relecure bilingue' expanded, displaying the 'Retrofit' option.

The TradosAI solution is also incorrect.  The place to see this is when you have the file open for translation.  Click on the "Relecture" ribbon and then click the dropdown under "Mettre à jour à partir de la relecure bilingue" and select the Retrofit option.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:28 AM (GMT 0) on 2 Mar 2024]
  • Paul, thanks a lot! I didn't know the name of this process "Retrofit". I followed your instructions step by step but there is obviously no possibility to select the World file (in my case) which should be used to replace the registered version. I made several amendments in Word and I would like to import this Word file back to overwrite the existing version. 

Best,

Pia

emoji
  •  

I guess you need a few gaps filling in so here's a quick video explaining the process:

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Good morning, Paul,

Thank you so much for your help!

Have a good day,

Pia

emoji
  • Hello Paul, I managed to carry out the retrofit functionnality. Now I'm struggling with the importation of former memoQ TMX. SDL is not intuitive at all. I think I created a big mess importing TMs without watching hundreds of videos before. Some are here, others not, and I have the impression that I created a file containing several TMX, in one word : a huge mess!  And icing on the cake : when I carry out a trial, despite importing the adequate TM, nothing is suggested from the TM and the segments are not automatically filled^^ 

emoji
  •  

Not intuitive... or you have not spent time learning how to use it?  Here's a quick video starting from memoQ and importing to Trados Studio without using any apps... so out of the box stuff:

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Hello Paul, thanks for taking time to help me. Now it works thanks to your video. I did not create an empty TM first :) See this is exactly what I meant with "intuitive". In memoQ everything is logical and most functionalities require less steps than in SDL. I did not even need training for memoQ. I just found everything by myself. Have a good day! Pia

emoji
  •  

I did not create an empty TM first :) See this is exactly what I meant with "intuitive". In memoQ everything is logical and most functionalities require less steps than in SDL.

As someone who is more familiar with Trados Studio than memoQ I find it completely the other way around!!

You can't import the TMX in memoQ without creating a TM first either, and at least in Studio there's a big button that says "Translation Memories" on the opening screen.  If you don't know where to look it's absolutely not like that in memoQ.

Anyway... horses for courses... and I think you absolutely need to spend time getting familiar with any software if you haven't used it before.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji