NMT options

Hello there, I'm still new to SDL as I only used it for 2 or 3 small projects (within 2 months) so far. But I am wondering about the NMT. I've seen the dedicated videos and it looks like we don't have a choice of AI. All you have to do is go to project settings and add Cloud resources. Is this really the case? Thanks! Best, Pia

emoji
Parents
  •  

I thought I could expect a reply within 48 hours...

Where did you read that?

But I am wondering about the NMT. I've seen the dedicated videos and it looks like we don't have a choice of AI.

So, you are talking about different things here.  NMT is Neural Machine Translation.  AI is Artificial Intelligence.  NMT may well be AI under the hood but it's not AI in the way OpenAI or Gemini is.

When you go to your project settings and select cloud resources this gives you access to several things:

• Language Weaver Cloud machine translation - NMT
    • Translation Engines - TM, Terminology, NMT (whatever provider for NMT you have set up in your Translation Engine)

The NMT providers for a Translation Engine are currently these (accessed through your cloud capabilities in Studio):

Screenshot of Trados RWS AppStore showing a list of machine translation providers including DeepL, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Intento, SYSTRAN, and Textshuttle.

In the RWS AppStore here, https://appstore.rws.com/, you have an even greater selection of NMT providers that plugin to Trados Studio.  I won't list them... too many.

AI providers are a little harder to explain.  You can find AI used for NMT in some of the existing providers such as Custom.MT, Intento, RyStudio and even the Trados AppStore Team through the AI Professional plugin.  However, only one of these, the AI Professional, can give you access to AI in a way that would allow you to interact with it and create custom prompts to change the way your translation is provided; it can also ensure that your terminology preferences in a termbase is used within the translations.  So it's a little bit different from the way NMT is delivered via a TM Provider.

Probably a bit tricky to understand but if you start to play with these resources a bit you'll soon understand.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:48 PM (GMT 1) on 12 Apr 2024]
  •  

I thought I could expect a reply within 48 hours...

Where did you read that?

But I am wondering about the NMT. I've seen the dedicated videos and it looks like we don't have a choice of AI.

So, you are talking about different things here.  NMT is Neural Machine Translation.  AI is Artificial Intelligence.  NMT may well be AI under the hood but it's not AI in the way OpenAI or Gemini is.

When you go to your project settings and select cloud resources this gives you access to several things:

• Language Weaver Cloud machine translation - NMT
    • Translation Engines - TM, Terminology, NMT (whatever provider for NMT you have set up in your Translation Engine)

The NMT providers for a Translation Engine are currently these (accessed through your cloud capabilities in Studio):

Screenshot of Trados RWS AppStore showing a list of machine translation providers including DeepL, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Intento, SYSTRAN, and Textshuttle.

In the RWS AppStore here, https://appstore.rws.com/, you have an even greater selection of NMT providers that plugin to Trados Studio.  I won't list them... too many.

AI providers are a little harder to explain.  You can find AI used for NMT in some of the existing providers such as Custom.MT, Intento, RyStudio and even the Trados AppStore Team through the AI Professional plugin.  However, only one of these, the AI Professional, can give you access to AI in a way that would allow you to interact with it and create custom prompts to change the way your translation is provided; it can also ensure that your terminology preferences in a termbase is used within the translations.  So it's a little bit different from the way NMT is delivered via a TM Provider.

Probably a bit tricky to understand but if you start to play with these resources a bit you'll soon understand.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:48 PM (GMT 1) on 12 Apr 2024]
Children