TMs disabled during project setup are enabled for translators

Hi everyone!

I am currently stuck with the following issue, and I hope someone knows how to handle this. I am setting up new translation projects in Studio with a custom project template (as in: not the default template). The template contains references to a number of server TMs (more than 20) and only 1 TM is enabled by default (this TM contains translations of boiler plate texts). The other TMs are selected depending on the subject matter. All TMs are server TMs on our Groupshare server.

A possible scenario for a new project could be:

TM boiler plate texts -> enabled (by default due to project template settings)

TM Subject matter 1 -> enabled (by me when creating new project)

TM Subject matter 2 -> disabled

TM Subject matter 3 -> disabled

Trados Studio project setup window showing Translation Memory settings with 'Boiler plate texts' enabled and 'Subject matter 1' enabled, while 'Subject matter 2' and 'Subject matter 3' are disabled.

The project is then created and published on Groupshare for our vendors to claim. 

But then this happens: when our vendors open the project and check the TM settings in the project settings ALL TMs are enabled:

Trados Studio project settings window displaying all Translation Memories including 'Boiler plate texts', 'Subject matter 1', 'Subject matter 2', and 'Subject matter 3' as enabled.

How can I avoid this? I only want our vendors to have the TMs enabled that were selected by me. Can this be controlled somehow? I do not want to instruct them to manually deselect specific TMs.

Also, if I myself open the project settings (after project creation) and check the enabled TMs, only the TMs enabled during project creation are still enabled. But that's only for me. If someone else (external vendors or internal colleagues) opens the project, all TMs are enabled.

Clearly, there must be some setting that I have missed, so I'd be grateful for any pointers.

I am currently using Trados Studio 2022 - 17.0.5.14757

Thanks!

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 1:42 PM (GMT 1) on 16 Apr 2024]
emoji
  •  

Thank you for your clear post.

What I am stuck on is the following:

M settings in the project settings ALL TMs are enabled

I assume you are:

1. Creating file based project in Studio
    2. Adjusting as you need
    3. Publish to Groupshare?

At what point do you realise the users allocated to the project tasks / files get all the TM's enabled?

Is it a case of:

TM subject matter 1 = user 1
    TM subject matter 2 = user 2

And because they are all EN-DE - they would indeed see all TM's enabled.
    If yes then actually your finds is correct and GroupShare permissions & access is working as expected.

I think you could be cleaver and use the native GroupShare organisations to help separate your resources and users access in them.
    Meaning:

Org 1 = TM subject matter 1 = user 1
    Org 2 =  TM subject matter 2 = user 2

But honesty, I assume the users will forever be changing and I dont think its worth the effort. 

I do understand the need to protect your main TM.
    I also understand the need to ensure mid process translations are stored (like project TM)'s
    But what value are you getting by having TMs split by subject matter?

Lyds 

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Thanks, Lydia.

At what point do you realise the users allocated to the project tasks / files get all the TM's enabled?

We've only realised this after our LSPs sent feedback asking why TMs for a completely unrelated subject matter are activated for their new translation assignment. During project setup we only activated some TMs, our LSPs see all TMs activated.

I take from your reply that this is the expected behaviour, which is fine. We'll be looking into other ways (as you've mentioned with different organisations etc.) to manage this.

Thanks again,

Franz 

emoji