Word/PDF and TM/NMT

Hello community,
I've started translating a text by importing a PDF file following the instructions in a dedicated video.
I expect to receive the client's Word file shortly, which I'll use to continue and complete the translation.
In my mind, this shouldn't be a problem, as the TM will spit out all the already translated segments.
On reflection, however, I wonder whether Studio will segment the Word file in the same way as it segmented the PDF file. And if it won't, will that be a problem?
Another question: How do I indicate in Studio that I want to give priority to the TM over the NMT?  Meaning TM for the translated segments, then NMT.
Thanks for your advice and help,
Have a good weekend,
Pia

emoji
Parents
  •  

In my mind, this shouldn't be a problem, as the TM will spit out all the already translated segments.

PDF files and Word files are not the same.  PDF files, depending on how they were created and the content within the file, could definitely be segments differently, and they could also be full of superfluous tags.  So it's pot luck really... could be a good experience, could be a bad one!  At least you could get rid of all the tags in a TMX in the worst case and then leverage from your TM might be a bit better when you receive the Word file.

So no one solution answer I'm afraid.  Could be ok, could be a nightmare!

How do I indicate in Studio that I want to give priority to the TM over the NMT?

That's the default behaviour.  TM is always first.  The match percentage for providing NMT before the TM is what determines the trigger.  So if you have the lookups set to 100% then anything in the TM less than 100% will be ignored and you'll get NMT instead.  Set if to 70% and you only get NMT for 69% and below.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Good morning Paul,

Thanks a lot for you detailed reply.

Concerning my file: I started translating the PDF in Studio. I will continue in Word as soon as I receive the file from the customer.

I would like to use my translations stored in the TM for the part which has already been translated and use NMT for the remaining text.

Is it also possible to switch off, I mean not to add NMT in the ressources in order to make sure that the translation stored in the TM is used and add NMT later ?

Thanks!

Best,

Pia

emoji
Reply Children