Splitting and merging segments in aligner and retrofit

I translate texts which often call for reordering sentence structures. I do this while translation, before reviewing texts externally in Word. I understand that retrofit/alignment doesn't perform well in this use case, but I'm prepared to spend the time going through and aligning my source documents with target texts reviewed in Word.

However, I'm hitting a problem. Both in Trados's alignment tool and in the retrofit/update from reviewed target file batch task, the options to split segments are usually greyed out:

Trados Studio screenshot showing a context menu with options like Connect, Disconnect, Confirm, and Reject enabled, while Split Segment is greyed out and not selectable.

It is enabled for some segments. But never where I want it, as fate would have it. And I can't determine any logic as to why it's possible in some contexts, not in others. Is there any option that enables me to split a target segment wherever I want?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 1:59 PM (GMT 1) on 22 Apr 2024]
emoji
  •   

Two observations based on your posts in this forum:

(1) From my experience with texts that are challenging from a segmentation point of view: It might take some tweaking, but it's worth getting your segmentation settings right. Studio is not great at changing a setting and checking whether it works, it's a bit cumbersome. I use Ratel for that and transfer the information to Studio. If you are familiar with Omega T then you are likely familiar with Ratel as well, which is part of the free Okapi Toolkit. IHMO, splitting or merging a segment should be an exception. If it's not, then your segmentation rules are lacking.

(2) If you have Trados Studio, you should not need to use the export/retrofit functionality. I use this to have people who do not have Trados Studio or who would not know how to use it proofread translations. It is only intended for very minor changes. Did you try the preview function:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing a forum post by Matthew S-anonymised discussing segmentation issues in alignment and retrofit, with a side-by-side comparison of English and German text segments.

You can read the document in Word, usually with perfect layout, and when you click into the text, the Studio cursor jumps to the respective segment. You make your changes in Studio, which is then reflected in the preview (the Word version of the preview often lags a bit). I usually use the faster HTML preview, because my source texts (if they are Word docs) usually have a simple layout:

Screenshot of Trados Studio with a focus on the translation results pane, displaying a forum post about splitting and merging segments in aligner and retrofit, alongside a preview pane showing the same text in German.

I'd give that a try.

Daniel

PS BTW there is an XLIFF Manager app, which exports and imports "vanilla" XLIFF, esp. if you are exchanging files with somebody who uses not-Trados Studio. But I think trial versions don't allow you to install apps.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:49 AM (GMT 1) on 23 Apr 2024]
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'm not sure that tweaking segmentation rules would help me. When I translate, I often do not translate one sentence as one sentence - I break them up and change the flow of the text to work better in the target language. Like:

Dies ist ein einziger Satz. Dies ist ein zweiter. Nun ein dritter. Dies ist ein vierter. Und jetzt ein fünfter.

This is one sentence, then this is a second and a third: then a fourth. And a fifth.

Segmentation rules won't help with this, or with another issue: academic footnotes, which contain many full stops and colons, and thus trigger segmentation, often in unwanted places (German separates title from subtitle with a full stop, for instance, which always triggers segmentation). But if there's a segmentation rule that can turn one footnote into one segment - I'm all for that.

Also, I often work with people who don't use CAT tools. People just edit things in Word, so I need something like retrofit/aligner to import their changes back into whatever CAT tool I'm using. And for that, I need to be able to split and merge segments without limitation. OmegaT allows this. Am I right in understanding that Trados simply does not?

XLIFF Manager looks very interesting. One thing that Trados and MemoQ do well is that they import footnotes close to the footnoted text. I look forward to trying it out. It's open source, too - the license is just for technical support, and sounds well worth it.

emoji