"Add new term" adds both terms (target and source) to the target language in the termbase

Hi

We are running Trados Studio 2021 SR2 - 16.2.12.9338. Freelance plus license.

We usually work in English <> Croatian, but now have an English <> Serbian (Latin) project. Whenever I try to add or quick add new term, both highlighted source and target terms are added to the target (English) field (see screenshot), so I can't use them. I am able to manually add a Serbian term via "New language button", but this slows me down dramatically. In all my English <> Croatian projects this mostly works fine (sometimes stops randomly and usually the glitch is gone after restart).

I went through the language settings, project settings, created new project, new termbase, used old termbases, updated Studio but nothing worked. I tried checking the settings mentioned in this thread but still nothing:

"Add New Term" only adds terms on one language (the Source language) 

I figured that Trados misinterprets the source language, but can't find any setting to fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nikola

Trados Studio term entry interface showing English flag with 'Add Term' button, and below, the words 'SADRZAJ' and 'TABLE OF CONTENTS' in the target field.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:52 PM (GMT 1) on 23 Apr 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •  

Im sorry for your experience as this is not how its intended.

See my screen print where, I have EN - FR terms already saved.
    In the Editor View I have EN-DE project and I am asking for the DE term to be added using Add Quick Term.

Screenshot showing a popup message in Trados Studio indicating that the selected term 'ventilation' already exists in the active termbase with options to edit the existing term.

By highlighting Source & Target Term with Add Quick Term I get the popup letting me know the source term exists and is about to be updated.
    But see the end result. I have EN term, FR term and the newly added DE term

Screenshot of Trados Studio termbase entry number 37 showing English term 'ventilation', German term 'Beluftung', and French term 'ventilation'.

As this is not working for you as I expect, please check the Termbase Settings to ensure the langues are correctly mapped

Screenshot of Trados Studio Project Settings with Termbases section highlighted, showing language mapping for English, French, German, and Japanese correctly set.

Thank you

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 12:55 PM (GMT 1) on 24 Apr 2024]
  •  

Im sorry for your experience as this is not how its intended.

See my screen print where, I have EN - FR terms already saved.
    In the Editor View I have EN-DE project and I am asking for the DE term to be added using Add Quick Term.

Screenshot showing a popup message in Trados Studio indicating that the selected term 'ventilation' already exists in the active termbase with options to edit the existing term.

By highlighting Source & Target Term with Add Quick Term I get the popup letting me know the source term exists and is about to be updated.
    But see the end result. I have EN term, FR term and the newly added DE term

Screenshot of Trados Studio termbase entry number 37 showing English term 'ventilation', German term 'Beluftung', and French term 'ventilation'.

As this is not working for you as I expect, please check the Termbase Settings to ensure the langues are correctly mapped

Screenshot of Trados Studio Project Settings with Termbases section highlighted, showing language mapping for English, French, German, and Japanese correctly set.

Thank you

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 12:55 PM (GMT 1) on 24 Apr 2024]
Children