Regarding the way the word list is stored in the settings file ...

We are working on our terminology, and as part of this I am addressing the long-standing issue that the Word List in QA Checker 3 does not have any import/export feature. My current solution is an AHK script that reads a CSV and enters the terms into the list, which is tolerable:

Screenshot of Trados Studio Word List Importer application with buttons for Select file, Enter Word list, Reset, Copy skipped lines to clipboard, Help, Toggle Slow Mode, and Quit.

It would be far better though to simply write the data into the settings file. Looking at that file, I see this:

Snippet of an XML configuration file for Trados Studio QA Checker showing settings for WordListIgnoreCase, WordListWholeWord, and WrongWordPairs with nested CorrectWord and WrongWord elements.

All this looks very straightforward, except for the funny doubling up of data in the nodes starting with an underscore. Why is there <_WrongWord> in addition to <WrongWord>?

Hope this is still on-topic for this forum.

Daniel

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:48 AM (GMT 1) on 24 May 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •  

Good question! A couple of years ago I tested that the XML could still be imported to Trados Studio after deleting the 2 elements with underscore. They are duplicated content, but I can’t figure out why…

Out of curiosity: does your AutoHotkey macro insert the new entries in the Trados Studio UI? Or to the XML and then you import it?

emoji
  •  

At this point it inserts them into the UI, which is fine if you want to go and have a cuppa anyway. For long lists exceeding 1000 word pairs this becomes too slow, so I want to add the option of selecting a project settings file and writing the word pairs straight into the XML. It would need to create a backup first, and also have a way of storing the word pairs already entered. Studio does not accept doubled wrong words in the UI, and I don't know what would happen if they were to be written into the XML – the settings file might cause an error and become unusable.

The short answer to your question is: It's using the Studio UI.

emoji
  •  

I can only hazard a guess why they are doubled...

• The XML schema definition might require both a primary and an internal version of the word pairs for validation or processing purposes.

• The software may need to maintain compatibility with older versions or other TMS solutions we have had to be compatible with over the year that expect the _CorrectWord and _WrongWord tags.

• The additional tags might be used for internal checks or comparisons within Trados Studio, ensuring that the correct and wrong words are properly validated and managed.

• Having both tags might serve as a redundancy measure to prevent data loss or ensure accuracy in detecting and correcting word pairs during the QA process.

• It could also be a mistake in the settings file or a result of an error during the configuration process... nobody's perfect ;-)

I think if I was going to tackle this with a script I'd just use a VB macro directly from Excel to create the XML and then copy paste it into an export of the current profile in the appropriate place.

A safer bet would be for a developer to write a plugin that could do all sorts of little maintenance operations like this and control the imports properly.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •  

I can only hazard a guess why they are doubled...

• The XML schema definition might require both a primary and an internal version of the word pairs for validation or processing purposes.

• The software may need to maintain compatibility with older versions or other TMS solutions we have had to be compatible with over the year that expect the _CorrectWord and _WrongWord tags.

• The additional tags might be used for internal checks or comparisons within Trados Studio, ensuring that the correct and wrong words are properly validated and managed.

• Having both tags might serve as a redundancy measure to prevent data loss or ensure accuracy in detecting and correcting word pairs during the QA process.

• It could also be a mistake in the settings file or a result of an error during the configuration process... nobody's perfect ;-)

I think if I was going to tackle this with a script I'd just use a VB macro directly from Excel to create the XML and then copy paste it into an export of the current profile in the appropriate place.

A safer bet would be for a developer to write a plugin that could do all sorts of little maintenance operations like this and control the imports properly.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children
No Data