Project settings issue with GroupShare projects

Hello,

The majority of the projects I work on are GroupShare projects. after upgrading from SDL Studio 2021 Freelance to Trados Studio Freelance 2022, the project settings dialogue no longer works as expected for GroupShare project, but it works fine for local projects.

As illustrated in. the attached screenshot, the dialogue has a left-hand panel with various project specific settings, but now I only see the settings in the "Language Pairs" group when the project is a GroupShare project. None of the rest are visible.

Any ideas/help would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance,

Peter Baeckstrom

Screenshot of Trados Studio Project Settings showing Language Pairs panel with Translation Memory and Automated Translation, Term bases, and Match Repair settings for English (United States) to Swedish (Sweden). 

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 2:55 PM (GMT 1) on 28 May 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hello Peter Baeckstrom,

I understand that you're having issues with the project settings dialogue in Trados Studio Freelance 2022 for GroupShare projects. I'm here to help!

Based on the context provided, it seems you've already tried a couple of workarounds, including running a repair installation and resetting Trados Studio basic settings. If these haven't resolved your issue, you might want to try the following steps:

Step 1: Ensure that your Trados Studio 2022 is up-to-date. You can check for updates within the application itself.

Step 2: Check if there are any updates available for Trados GroupShare. If there are, please update it to the latest version.

Step 3: If the issue persists, you might want to consider reinstalling Trados Studio 2022. Before you do this, make sure to back up all your settings and resources to avoid losing any data.

Step 4: If none of the above steps work, it might be a more complex issue that requires further investigation. In this case, I would recommend reaching out to the RWS Support team for further assistance.

I hope these steps help resolve your issue. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • This is not a useful answer, since it simply suggests all remedies (i.e. repairing, reinstalling, updating, etc., etc.) ANY user would try before asking for help.

emoji
  •   

Then why don't you reject it and ask again?  You're talking to a computer and the answer is often only as good as the question!  It's not perfect, but you may be able to help.

You didn't tell it what you'd tried already... and if you think ANY user would try that before asking a question then you are very wrong!

You said:

after upgrading from SDL Studio 2021 Freelance to Trados Studio Freelance 2022, the project settings dialogue no longer works

Are you using project templates perhaps?  Did you recreate the template or have you imported one from the old version?  I don't know if this is the problem, but importing old versions into new ones that may have had changes under the hood can be problematic and I'd always recommend you recreate your templates.

Presumably you have tried a reset?  That wasn't mentioned by you or the AI... so I'll dare to ask you if this is something you also tried already?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

I am well aware the AI is a computer algorithm :-) The only thing I did was to reject the answer and explain my reason for doing so, a prompted.

I am not using project templates. The GS projects I work on are submitted by the agency, and picked up using the "Open Project" button in the GroupShare group on the Studio ribbon. That means I am using GS in a pure client mode, with all project settings defined on the server side.

No quite sure what you mean by "reset", so maybe you can explain.

Many thanks,

Peter

emoji
  •  

If the project settings are all set up on the server side then presumably you don't need to change them?  Just wanted to understand if this is only an aesthetic or rather non-critical issue for you, or if you wanted to be able to change something?  That doesn't change the fact this shouldn't display this way, I just wondered about the urgency.

No quite sure what you mean by "reset", so maybe you can explain.

Most display settings for Studio are held in the Studio17 folder in your roaming folder, so to reset them (which is not the same as reinstalling or repairing) you could rename that folder and restart Studio.

However, this is so neat I discussed with the GroupShare product manager who thought this could be related to permissions.  So I added a user to a GroupShare account, gave them no permissions other than to work on the file and this is what I see:

Screenshot of Trados Studio Project Settings window showing Language Pairs, Translation Memory and Automated Translation, Term bases, and Match Repair settings for English (United Kingdom) to Romanian with a CX_Community translation memory enabled.

So my conclusion is this isn't a problem... it's a deliberate choice by the agency to limit your ability to make changes to the project settings.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:48 PM (GMT 1) on 10 Jun 2024]
  • Thanks Paul,

Yes, I have performed resets as you describe several times.

And thanks for testing a reduced permissions project, which makes complete sense. But the thing that really puzzles me is that I was working on GS project in Studio 2021, took a break from it over a weekend, and installed Studio 2022.

Everything looked fine (i.e. the full project settings side panel) in Studio 2021, but when I opened that same project in Studio 2022 to finish it, I was met ny the abbreviated side panel. That has been the case with every project I have worked on since.

I will push back at my contacts at the agency. They don't seem very tech minded, but there must be someone there.

Peter

emoji
  •  

I checked with the product manager and the feature to support this permissions based settings view was implemented in Trados Studio 2019 SR2 CU8.  So I am quite surprised to hear you say it was different in 2021 with the very same project.

One possible explanation is that previously you were assigned default roles with the "Translator Role", but perhaps they have now learned more about these features and now assigned you the "External Translator Role" with only "View Project" permission... or perhaps they created their own.  Will be interesting to find out what happened.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to track down the "GS guy" at the agency, and I've sent my questions to him. So, please stay tuned – you'll be the first to know when he replies.

Peter

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

I have discussed the issue with my client's GS guy, and we have hit a dead end.

He told me that I have the highest permissions in GS, so that's not the problem. He also had an idea about defining default language pairs (Options > Language Pairs), which I hadn't, but that didn't make any difference.

He loaded the project I'm working on in his Trados Studio Pro installation (I have Trados Studio Freelance subscription), and everything looked fine. However, he is running SR1, whereas I am running SR2.

Another note in environment – I am running Windows 11 for ARM, on a Parallells VM on a MacBook Pro M3. It is the same environment where everything was fine in Studio 2021.

And finally – I'm not sure if it is related but when I click on the box next to a TM in Project settings, I get the error message below:

Trados Studio error dialog box with message 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' over the Translation Memory and Automate settings with a list of items including SV_KCM and an unknown item.

In short, I'm not sure where to go from here. Everything else works as expected, and I can complete all projects I accept. I will not be able to continue troubleshooting before Tuesday.

Peter 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:39 AM (GMT 1) on 14 Jun 2024]
  •  

I think the way forward is going to be for your client's GS guy to log a case with our tech support.  I don't believe we will be able to solve this on your end alone.  That way we can investigate that with them and check that they are using GS in the way it's intended if they want you to be able to work with this.

I can look at that error you get but you'll need to provide the full error stack and not just a screen shot of the headline.  Note these things:

Error dialog box from Trados Studio with a red cross symbol, displaying the message 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' Below are four options: 1. Save error details, 2. Copy error details, 3. Knowledge Base search, 4. Community search.

1. this allows you to look at the details of the error on screen
    2. this allows you to save all those details as an error stack to your desktop in an xml file
    3. this will search the knowledgebase for any existing articles based on the content of the error stack
    4. this will search the community for any existing posts based on the content of the error stack

Ideally you'll select 2. and then attach the xml to your reply.  Don't copy paste the message as text as this often results in the spam detector blocking the post.  Just attach it and it will be placed into a code block that should be fine and we can also read it more easily.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:53 AM (GMT 1) on 14 Jun 2024]
  • Thanks Paul,

I'll forward your request, and I have attached the file.

<SDLErrorDetails time="14/06/2024 09:06:16">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControlUtils.AbstractUiStrategy.CanDeleteCascadeEntryItem(ProjectCascadeEntryItem cascadeEntryItem)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControlUtils.DefaultUiStrategy.UpdateButtons()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl.UpdateUi()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl.RefreshUiStrategy()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl.IsSelectedCellChanged(CellEventArgs e)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoriesControl._selectTranslationMemoryGrid_CellChange(Object sender, CellEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGrid.OnCellChange(CellEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGrid.FireEvent(GridEventIds id, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGridCell.CellChangeHelper(Object sender, EventArgs ev)
       at Infragistics.Win.EmbeddableEditorBase.RaiseValueChangedEvent()
       at Infragistics.Win.ToggleEditorBase.SetEditorValueInternal(Object newVal)
       at Infragistics.Win.ToggleEditorBase.SetNextState()
       at Infragistics.Win.CheckEditorCheckBoxUIElement.OnCheckStateChange()
       at Infragistics.Win.CheckBoxUIElement.OnClick()
       at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUpHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.Utilities.ProcessEvent(Control control, ProcessEvent eventToProcess, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraControlBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.2.10.19084</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Pro</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1033</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>MACBOOKVM\peter</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>MACBOOKVM</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>6286016 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

Well, I am no wiser, but the saga has ended! When I started working on my project yesterday, Studio behaved erratically, asking me several times to log in to the GS-server, and after 2 tries let me continue, but "No Connection" indicated in the lower left hand status indicator. That continued all day yesterday, and this morning. I then quit and restarted Studio, and suddenly logging in worked fine.

Later in the day, I started to write a document about my issues for my client's GS guy, and went back into the Project Settings to take a screenshot. And now, everything works as expected! I have no idea how and what, but something must've been done on the server side yesterday. Even the "Object reference not set..." issue no longer appears. So, I'd say "case closed".

So, in short, many thanks for all your help and patience with this. I really appreciate it.

Peter 

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

Well, I am no wiser, but the saga has ended! When I started working on my project yesterday, Studio behaved erratically, asking me several times to log in to the GS-server, and after 2 tries let me continue, but "No Connection" indicated in the lower left hand status indicator. That continued all day yesterday, and this morning. I then quit and restarted Studio, and suddenly logging in worked fine.

Later in the day, I started to write a document about my issues for my client's GS guy, and went back into the Project Settings to take a screenshot. And now, everything works as expected! I have no idea how and what, but something must've been done on the server side yesterday. Even the "Object reference not set..." issue no longer appears. So, I'd say "case closed".

So, in short, many thanks for all your help and patience with this. I really appreciate it.

Peter 

emoji
Children