How can I enter custom measurements in the Verification step?

I am trying to have Trados recognize “2-5s” as a measurement in the source language (en-GB) and “2 bis 5 Jahre(n)” in the target language (German). I managed to get it to regard “5s” as a measurement, but neither 2-5s nor “5 Jahren”.

So far I entered "s" as in the measurements of the TM, and "Jahren" in the target. In the auto-substitution settings of the TM I defined that it should always enter a space between measurement and unit. No avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Daniel

emoji
Parents Reply
  • Hi ,

I’m not sure if I understan correctly…

I've added Jahren as a mesaurement to the Target language and have the following settings (to insert a regular space [·] between number and unit to distinguish it from the hard space [°] used in the TM):

Trados Studio settings dialog showing options for localizing measurements with spaces between numbers and units.

First, this regular space works for another unit (dB) included by default in both languages:

Trados Studio translation results showing '2dB' correctly translated with a regular space between number and unit.

So far so good. Now with your “s” unit is different. With the “s” unit translated as “Jahren”, I get this result (you see that CTRL+comma still adds the “s” unit in the TM with the regular space):

Trados Studio translation results with '2s' incorrectly adding 's' unit in the translation memory with a regular space instead of 'Jahren'.

I’m not sure, but I'd say that the “s” unit is harcoded somehow to be translated as “s” again in any language, probably because it’s the international symbol of second. Note that “s” unit was added as a measurement only to the Source language (English US) not to to the Target language and (German - Germany) before creating the above GIFs.

If I remove “s” from the Source language, then “5s” is recognised as an alphanumeric token:

Close-up of Trados Studio translation results where '3-5s' is correctly translated as '3-5Jahren' with a regular space.

For me it makes sense, and maybe can give us some light here…

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:37 AM (GMT 1) on 30 May 2024]
Children
No Data