Handling XML exports from WordPress

Good afternoon all!
We need to localise a website generated in WordPress. Unfortunately, the web designer skipped using the WPML plugin and just exported the whole site in a single XML.

As a result, the word count ballooned from around 6.5k to >145k, obviously reflecting huge amounts of CDATA.

Has anyone found a workaround for this, just in case the web designer fails to generate XLIFF files?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ralf

emoji
Parents
  • Hello Ralf,

I understand your situation and I'm here to help. You can handle XML exports from WordPress in Trados Studio by creating a custom XML filetype. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio and go to "File Types" in the "Options" menu.

Step 2: Click on "New" and select "XML filetype".

Step 3: In the "General" tab, add the file extension of your XML file.

Step 4: Go to the "Parser rules" tab and add the XPath rules to extract the content you want to translate. For example, if you want to extract the text within CDATA sections, you can use the XPath rule "//text()".

Step 5: Save your new XML filetype and use it when opening your XML file in Trados Studio.

This should help you to only translate the relevant content and ignore the rest. However, please note that this method requires a good understanding of XPath and XML structure. If the XML file is too complex or if you're not comfortable with XPath, you might need assistance from someone with more technical expertise.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • exported the whole site in a single XML

Multilingual or mon-lingual?

If it's multilingual use the Multilingual XML filetype, and if it's monolingual just create a custom XML filetype.

Or are you really interested in some sort of solution to take the XML file you have and do something else with it before bringing it into a translation environment?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Reply Children