Issue recognizing Chinese terms in termbase

I work from Chinese to English. I have just purchased a new computer and have a fresh installation of Trados and MultiTerm.

Unfortunately, term recognition for Chinese terms is not working on my new computer. I am getting a message “No results available”. I have never had this issue before.

The only terms that are recognized are the few terms in my termbase that start with a non-Chinese character. For example, 1月 (January) IS recognized. Any terms that start with a Chinese character are not recognized. 

I have tried restarting Trados, removing and re-adding my termbases, and reorganizing in MultiTerm, but nothing works.

I did a search and found that other people have encountered this issue in the past, but in my case, the problem only occurs when the term starts with a Chinese character,

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

emoji
Parents
  • Hello,

I understand that you're having trouble with term recognition for Chinese terms in Trados Studio and MultiTerm. This issue might be due to the way Chinese characters are recognized in the software. Here are some steps you can try:

Step 1: Check your language settings. Make sure that the source language is set to Chinese and the target language is set to English in both Trados Studio and MultiTerm.

Step 2: Check the settings in your termbase. Ensure that the termbase is set up correctly for Chinese to English translation.

Step 3: Try adjusting the search settings. In Trados Studio, go to File > Options > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Termbases > Search Settings. Enable the option for "Recognize terms with any number of words". This might help with recognizing terms that start with a Chinese character.

Step 4: If the issue persists, you might want to consider creating a new termbase for Chinese to English translation. Import your terms into this new termbase and see if the issue continues.

Remember to restart Trados Studio after making any changes to ensure they are applied correctly.

I hope these steps help resolve your issue. If you continue to experience problems, please don't hesitate to ask for further assistance.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • Hello,

I understand that you're having trouble with term recognition for Chinese terms in Trados Studio and MultiTerm. This issue might be due to the way Chinese characters are recognized in the software. Here are some steps you can try:

Step 1: Check your language settings. Make sure that the source language is set to Chinese and the target language is set to English in both Trados Studio and MultiTerm.

Step 2: Check the settings in your termbase. Ensure that the termbase is set up correctly for Chinese to English translation.

Step 3: Try adjusting the search settings. In Trados Studio, go to File > Options > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Termbases > Search Settings. Enable the option for "Recognize terms with any number of words". This might help with recognizing terms that start with a Chinese character.

Step 4: If the issue persists, you might want to consider creating a new termbase for Chinese to English translation. Import your terms into this new termbase and see if the issue continues.

Remember to restart Trados Studio after making any changes to ensure they are applied correctly.

I hope these steps help resolve your issue. If you continue to experience problems, please don't hesitate to ask for further assistance.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
Children