Translating Google Docs with Trados Studio 2022

A client has shared a Google Doc with me.

He wants me to translate it in Google Docs (and not send him a translated copy).

It is a list of email sequences that contain a lot of interactive options (collapse heading, pin header up to this row, insert one row beneath, dropdown boxes and even the ability to add email addresses in the "To:" bar via an inbuilt search function).

I considered an option would be to save the document, translate it in Trados and reupload.

I use Trados Studio 2022 SR2 - 17.2.10.19084 on a PC with Windows and Microsoft 365.

When I go to download the document in Google Docs, my options are:

.odt, .docx, .rtf, .pdf, .txt, .html, .epub

.html and .epub are not accepted by Trados and all the other download options result in significant formatting changes - all of the interactive elements are lost, which the client will not be happy about.

If I copy-paste from Google Docs into Word (retaining original formatting), I still lose all of these interactive elements and it looks significantly different (same as saving in Word).

Is there any way to save this document or is there a workaround so that I can use Trados (and the current TMs and glossary I have for this client) without losing this essential formatting, or am I resigned to a very cumbersome process of copy-pasting my finished translation into every single one of the many text boxes in the Google Doc?

I have written to the client and asked what program this file was originally created with, but have not yet received an answer.

Help greatly appreciated for this particular project or in general, as I can see translation requests by sharing a Google Doc rapidly becoming a feature of modern commercial translation.

Jack

emoji
Parents
  •   

Any of these will be fine although txt and html will not allow you to easily get the translation back, and both odt and docx will likely lose some formatting and possibly even features if the Google Doc is heavily customised:

.odt, .docx, .txt, .html

I discounted RTF, PDF and epub as they would not be ideal formats to work with.  But the others should be fine... I have no idea why html didn't work for you.

I still lose all of these interactive elements and it looks significantly different (same as saving in Word).

That will be a problem I think as these are probably features not supported by Word.

I guess you could try working with this app: https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/51?tab=documentation

I haven't used it in a very long time but there is an article here to give you some idea of how to work with it: https://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/11/21/t-window/

Written 12 years ago but it may be helpful and it would allow you to use your TMs at least and work in any application you like.  So in theory you could translate a Google Doc file by opening it up in Google Drive directly.  From memory it may be a little finnicky at first but once you get a rhythm going it's not bad.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •   

Any of these will be fine although txt and html will not allow you to easily get the translation back, and both odt and docx will likely lose some formatting and possibly even features if the Google Doc is heavily customised:

.odt, .docx, .txt, .html

I discounted RTF, PDF and epub as they would not be ideal formats to work with.  But the others should be fine... I have no idea why html didn't work for you.

I still lose all of these interactive elements and it looks significantly different (same as saving in Word).

That will be a problem I think as these are probably features not supported by Word.

I guess you could try working with this app: https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/51?tab=documentation

I haven't used it in a very long time but there is an article here to give you some idea of how to work with it: https://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/11/21/t-window/

Written 12 years ago but it may be helpful and it would allow you to use your TMs at least and work in any application you like.  So in theory you could translate a Google Doc file by opening it up in Google Drive directly.  From memory it may be a little finnicky at first but once you get a rhythm going it's not bad.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your quick and detailed response, not that this comes as a surprise.

Translation works as an html but all the interactive formatting elements disappear in this format too. The client wants to retain these.

I was not aware of the app, so thanks for making me aware of that. I had a go at it, but am I right in thinking it is not possible to incorporate MultiTerm glossaries into this? That is pretty essential for my QA and perhaps the main reason I'm still using Trados after 14 years.

It might be an idea for RWS to have a look at a long-term solution for integrating shared doc format types into the Trados translation environment, as the amount of projects I receive via Google-Docs etc. is increasing all the time. I have a strong feeling saving individual files on my computer might soon be regarded with the same incredulity as a record collection.

Thanks for this and your help over the years.

Jack

emoji