Can the source language be changed in TMs?

Hi,

Can the source language be changed in TMs? I have a Translation Memory set from English (United States) to French (Canada). Is it possible to change the source language to English (Canada)?

Thank you!

Hi, Can the source language be changed in TMs? I have a Translation Memory set from English (United States) to French (Canada). Is it possible to change the source language to English (Canada)? Thank you!
[edited by: Virginia Seggiaro at 6:50 PM (GMT 1) on 19 Jun 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hello,

Yes, you can change the source language in Translation Memories (TMs) in Trados Studio. However, it's important to note that you cannot directly change the language in an existing TM. You'll need to create a new TM with the desired language pair and import the data from the old TM. Here's how you can do it:

Step 1: Open the TM in Trados Studio's Translation Memories view.

Step 2: Select the TM and click on the 'Export' button to export the memory in a .tmx format.

Step 3: Open the newly created .tmx file in a text editor (for example, Notepad++).

Step 4: Search for 'en-US' and replace all occurrences with 'en-CA' (for English Canada).

Step 5: Save the .tmx file.

Step 6: Create a new Trados Studio TM which contains the new language codes (English Canada to French Canada).

Step 7: Select this new TM and click on the 'Import' button in order to import the previously modified .tmx file.

This process can be applied for both source and target languages. Please remember to back up your original TM before making any changes.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • Hello,

Yes, you can change the source language in Translation Memories (TMs) in Trados Studio. However, it's important to note that you cannot directly change the language in an existing TM. You'll need to create a new TM with the desired language pair and import the data from the old TM. Here's how you can do it:

Step 1: Open the TM in Trados Studio's Translation Memories view.

Step 2: Select the TM and click on the 'Export' button to export the memory in a .tmx format.

Step 3: Open the newly created .tmx file in a text editor (for example, Notepad++).

Step 4: Search for 'en-US' and replace all occurrences with 'en-CA' (for English Canada).

Step 5: Save the .tmx file.

Step 6: Create a new Trados Studio TM which contains the new language codes (English Canada to French Canada).

Step 7: Select this new TM and click on the 'Import' button in order to import the previously modified .tmx file.

This process can be applied for both source and target languages. Please remember to back up your original TM before making any changes.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
Children
No Data