How to best capitalise on merged segments? (100% matches across segments)

I regularly translate several versions of the same text, or slight evolutions of the same text. As I am a translator who focuses on textual flow a lot, I often use the "merge segments" functionality. Of course, the segments then go into my TM in the merged form. This means, however, that when I have to translate the next iteration of the text, Studio tries to match the separate segments and will not find strong matches. Only when I realise that I must have merged segments previously and when I (manually) trigger concordance, then Studio shows me the matches. I then manually merge the relevant segment, and then Studio finds the 100% match. I thus have a lot of what you might call "100% matches across (two or more) segments".

Obviously, this is quite cumbersome and I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it. I'd appreciate any help with this to optimise my process.

Thank you!

Katharina

emoji
Parents Reply
  •  

In her case there will be bad matches or no matches with a high match value. I work with 50% and I get quite good results. But I think it is also a question of habits. With the Workbench I used to work with 30%...

I think the best option will be checking the settings and changing them one by one in order to estimate the best result. As with all settings in Trados Studio, there is no set of settings suitable for every possible case. The trick is to be aware of all the possibilities given and adapt the settings to the art of work you have to perform. In this terms I do not know any other tool allowing so many possibilities and giving you the power to work your way as Studio does.

emoji
Children
No Data