Preventing segmentation for proper names

Hi all! Let's say we have this person's name: PETER D.M. ST. GERMAIN

The segmentation process will break it into 3 lines:

PETER D.M.

ST.

GERMAIN

How can I prevent this from happening and keep the name together? I know it has to do with editing Language Resources, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help!

René

emoji
Parents
  • Hello René,

To prevent segmentation for proper names in Trados Studio, you can follow these steps:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio and go to the "Project Settings" or "Options" (for all new projects).

Step 2: Navigate to "Language Pairs" > "All Language Pairs" > "Common" > "Segmentation" > "Rules".

Step 3: Click on the "Edit Rules" button. This will open the "Edit Segmentation Rules" dialog box.

Step 4: In the "After" section, you will see a list of punctuation and special characters that Trados Studio uses to determine where to segment the text.

Step 5: Find the full stop (.) in the list and click on it to highlight it.

Step 6: In the "Exceptions" section below, click on the "Add" button. This will open a new dialog box where you can add an exception rule.

Step 7: In the "Add Exception" dialog box, enter the name (e.g., "PETER D.M. ST. GERMAIN") in the "Before break" field and click "OK". This tells Trados Studio not to break the segment before this text.

Step 8: Click "OK" again to close the "Edit Segmentation Rules" dialog box.

Step 9: Click "OK" once more to close the "Options" or "Project Settings" dialog box.

Now, Trados Studio should keep the name "PETER D.M. ST. GERMAIN" together as one segment. Remember to save your changes and restart Trados Studio for the changes to take effect.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  •  

I tested the AI for you... I don't think you did activate it.  However, although the process is sort of correct the answer won't work.

The solution however is simple enough.  Just add these to your abbreviation list:

ST.

D.M.

Then you get this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio software showing a segment of text 'PETER D.M. ST. GERMAIN' highlighted in blue.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 4:09 PM (GMT 1) on 27 Jun 2024]
Reply Children